PDA

View Full Version : Tap replacement timing

sap hound sryup
08-29-2020, 03:06 AM
We replace all of our taps each year this year [12000] always mostly in February. we are located in Western Maine Mountains and average 5 to 6 feet of snow so it is slow going! With a serious illness this year am asking what is the thoughts of applying our taps late October early November. We use 3/16s and no check valves. The ground will be snow covered in November

Thompson's Tree Farm
08-29-2020, 04:23 AM
I have been replacing spouts and droplines and making repairs all summer

sap hound sryup
08-29-2020, 05:08 AM
Where I stated taps I really mean spouts.

Pdiamond
08-29-2020, 06:52 PM
I am assuming you mean you are replacing your spouts on the drop lines. That can be done early. I wouldn't tap trees that early

DrTimPerkins
08-31-2020, 07:45 AM
There hasn't been any research that I am aware of looking at timing of replacing spouts in the woods as it affects sanitation. We typically do ours in Nov-Dec, and tap in Jan-Feb. We used to do them while tapping, but as you say, more snow on the ground and slows things down. Doesn't seem to be a problem doing it once the temperatures drop down and stay below freezing most of the time.

amasonry
09-01-2020, 04:32 AM
I have tried the December spout replacement, but deer and other animals have 6-8 weeks to chew on the new lines and spouts. ended up replacing the new tubing and spouts again.