PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen the new Lapierre Vision evaporator?

claystroup
08-03-2020, 07:53 PM
Just saw a short video on the new Lapierre Vision evaporator but cannot find many other details on them. I have heard they may have a different style of flue pan than traditional evaporators.

mspina14
08-03-2020, 09:09 PM
Is this the video you saw?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2HpZGhG1Sg

claystroup
08-05-2020, 07:36 AM
Yes, I have seen that video and what has sparked my interest in it. Hope to see more details come out from Lapierre.

Pdiamond
08-05-2020, 06:26 PM
The pan looks like SL's hybrid hobby pro pan.

TapTapTap
08-05-2020, 07:31 PM
It looks like the DeLorean. Can we use it for time travel?

dogpatch
08-06-2020, 02:48 PM
Only if you order the flux capacitor option��

nhdog
08-13-2020, 09:33 AM
i ordered a lapierre junior last spring during their sale, late in may the dealer told me about the vision for the same price so i ordered one instead. they have different pan options i think, but i stayed with the 2 pans and 2 float boxes. there is supposed to a better insulation plan that puts more heat to the pans,air tight front door that is air cooled. comes with insulated top rail,bigger wood chamber and a improved leveling system. the air enters from the back so i'm guessing that means the air will be preheated and you've seen the glass door. i'm told the dealer will have mine in last week of aug. i can't say i'm excited about the look but.....they have put it through a lot of testing and it is an improvement

BROWN71
10-31-2020, 03:53 AM
I picked up a 18x48 raised pan Vision yesterday! I cannot wait to get it installed and ready for the season! I am very impressed with the build quality and attention to detail LaPierre put into this new evaporator.

Ross
11-01-2020, 06:27 AM
That's exciting. Would love to see pics. Make sure to report back when season starts.

BROWN71
11-06-2020, 04:31 AM
That's exciting. Would love to see pics. Make sure to report back when season starts.

Super easy to insulate and brick. LaPierre included engineers drawings for bricking instructions (not sure if other manufacturers do this) but is was appreciated.

nhdog
11-10-2020, 02:07 PM
i just got my lappierre 18 by 60 vision set up and ready to go except for setting up the head tank. i'll be feeding the sap float box thru a 1'' line. what would be the best height should the head tank be above the sap float box inlet for proper operation ?

i got to say they sure made a great little unit. well built ,very heavily put together, all one big heavy frame, front to back. i really like the way they take the draw off from the hot channel of the syrup pan, not in front of the door. i haven't decided yet until i fire it up, about the one door for loading fire box and the ash pan, also the fire box is larger than normal i think.

johnallin
11-10-2020, 03:43 PM
As long as the bottom of the tank is above the float box inlet, you should be fine...gravity will take care of the rest.

If you have the height, you may consider placing it 2 feet, or so, above the flue pan so you could feed a pre-heater housed inside a steam hood.
You'll reap huge rewards in gph with those two items.
Enjoy your new toy - sounds like a really nice rig!

Maplelane1
11-12-2020, 09:15 AM
I put a deposit down on the new Vision 18x60. My dealer had that one and the 2x6 Vision in stock so I had a good look at them both.

The 18x36 comes with the new flue pan (I think). It's one piece, flues are only about 1.5 inches in height and triangular in shape, and comes with one float for sap. Was told it could boil up to 20 GpH, but that's tested numbers not real world.

The 2x6 comes with the traditional flued pan, and separate finishing pan and two floats for sap and syrup. Was told it could get upwards of 28GpH... Tested numbers.

Good looking units, great quality and some nice touches. Pan is sealed/insulated to arch - I heard this was an issue in the past. Glass window with vent so you can see the fire and it has a vent behind the firebox that draws air so no need for a fan. And the new units use less firebrick.

We'll see !

I'll report back when the season is well underway.

nhdog
11-12-2020, 02:21 PM
folks getting the new vision want perhaps to look where they are setting their units up if you have a wooden floor. unlike most other other units vision have no legs ,which i really like (only the short adjusting bolts) makes much more stable, but the bottom of the ash pan sets with in a inch or so from the floor. ash build up will insulate some i suspect, i feel i'm safe with my pad set up, but i used the left over insulation board to line the bottom of the ash pit, then covered that with left over fire brick so it wouldn't get torn up when cleaning out.

Maplelane1
11-13-2020, 01:29 PM
Quick update... I opted for the 2x6 Vision instead. Several reasons, cost to upgrade to larger arch was minimal but the pan options for the 2x6 were just that much better.

You're right nhdog re no legs at the front of the arch. So yeah, on a combustible floor you'll need some protection.

nhdog
11-14-2020, 09:54 AM
maplelane1
I'm wondering about your pans... when i ordered mine back in mid-may they were just coming out with the new vision and only said there would be coming out with options and nothing more. i was one of the first ones to order according to the dealer. i got the 2 regular pans: the18x44 sap pan with 2 channels and the 7 raised flues. the syrup pan is 18x16 with 3 channels and the draw off is the channel closest to the sap pan and of course the 2 float boxes.

what are you getting for pans? when do you expect delivery?

Maplelane1
11-15-2020, 03:17 PM
nhdog...

Sorry if I wasn't clear... I originally put down a deposit on the new Vision 18x60. It had a single pan for both sap and syrup, all one piece, and a single sap float. Is not a true flue pan set up.

After reading more, I waned to the two piece flue pan set up you're referencing, with two floats etc. I was told yes, I could order that for the 18x60 and the additional cost was $xxxx.xx dollars ! That said, the 2x6 Vision arch was only a couple hundred more than the 18x60 so jumping up to the 2x6 with the pans I wanted was a no brainer for me.

Funny you ask delivery...I never talked to my dealer about that specifically but all our conversations about the evaporator, my sugar house, buckets, lines etc. were predicated on boiling this spring. I'm gonna ask that specific question because we're busting our buts to build the sugar house etc. etc.

nhdog
11-16-2020, 07:30 AM
maplelane 1
i had ordered originally, the 16 x60 junior back in the first of march, which at that time come with the 2 pan ,2 float boxes etc. latter on the dealer emailed say they were coming out with something called the vision. i called him, but he didn't have very much info at the time but gave me what he had and it sounded pretty good. then he told me if i wanted i could have the vision for the same price, with the same pan set up and all. like i said i was one of the very first to order one so i guess i got in early before they made price changes and had a chance to figure out what they were going to do with the new models.
i just finished my new little 12x18 sugar house and working alone took most all summer.

Maplelane1
11-16-2020, 09:42 AM
Yeah, it sounds like you got in when the getting was good !

The pricing of the two (18x60 and 2x6) now are such that it makes sense to go with the 2x6, unless you're not fussy about pans and floats etc.

Need to finish my sugar house by Christmas...Because January and February are set aside for cutting firewood !

Maritimer
12-03-2020, 08:19 PM
Hey guy's, I just got on this site for the first time in a while, I seen there was some conversation on the new vision evaporator. I ordered one this spring, Just arrived today. It a 2 1/2 x 10 . I dont know anything about them yet, but kevin sold me one for a bit less than the contemporary ones. These are supposed to be a new build surpassing the old generation. These are air tight and take the air from the rear. Im extremely excited to get it set up and running. So this season, i will run it without the hood and pre heater, next year i will get a hood for it.

nhdog
12-06-2020, 08:40 AM
Maritimer, I'm over on the South Shore and I ordered Lapierre's "Jr" from Kevin as soon as the spring sale started. Right after that, he contacted me about them coming out with the Vision and said i could have it, with the same pans, for the same sale price. I picked it up on first of Sept. While it's a lot smaller than yours, it's a great little unit for the smaller guys.
For those who haven't yet seen the Vision, I have an 18x60 Vision with the 2 float boxes. The sap pan is 18x44 with 2 channels and five 5-inch raised flues. The syrup pan is 18x16 with 3 channels. The sap is fed into the front channel and syrup is drawn from the back channel, next to the sap pan. I've heard that these pans are now an option at an additional cost. The door with the window is fully insulated and the rails come with rail gaskets installed. It came with all the external valves and extra set of gaskets for the float box and the pipe connector clamps.
I also got the insulation package for the sale price because those materials are not available around here. It came with 12 ft. heavy-gauge stainless smoke pipe, all the board and blanket insulation, the 1/2 size fire bricks, and cement. All of this was more than enough to do the job with extra left over.
21640 21641 21642 21643 21644

ir3333
12-06-2020, 02:50 PM
This hobby has literally exploded recently and the new evaporators are like custom show cars. That unit is spectacular!

Maplelane1
12-07-2020, 09:44 AM
Looking good, nhdog.

Yes, those pans were an option on the 18x60 when I looked about a month or so ago. Those pans are however standard on the new 2x6 Vision which is what I purchased... Won't have til after Christmas tho.

Ross
12-10-2020, 07:05 AM
The pictures are great. Thanks for posting!

BROWN71
12-25-2020, 07:58 AM
I've been test boiling my 18"x48" raised flue pan and front pan. It is pretty amazing how quickly it comes to boil without forced air. It is a steady 12gph of boiling straight water not drawing any off. I suspect it will be a little higher with sap and drawing off syrup.

ennismaple
01-04-2021, 03:13 PM
That's a nice looking unit! Now go get it dirty.

Cold Hollow Sugarworks
01-12-2021, 06:07 PM
My 2x6 Vision will be here next week. How was it to brick? Was told they don’t sell precuts. And I’m NO mason, that’s for sure .. interesting how they went full round Stack all the way to the arch. Something to do with the natural draft maybe?

BROWN71
01-12-2021, 07:19 PM
It comes with some straight forward engineering drawings showing the brick layout and cut measurements. You’ll definitely need a tile wet saw to get decent cuts.

BoerBoel
01-13-2021, 06:23 AM
Would it be possible to brick the 2x6 Vision without cementing the bricks in place? I need to move the stove after this season and it would be much easier if I could easily remove the bricks and then cement them in place after the move. Thoughts?

tcross
01-13-2021, 07:44 AM
you can brick it and not mortar it in. many people don't sue mortar, but it is nice to have once you have it where it's going to stay. Bricking is pretty simple. you can use a masonry blade on a chop saw and get the job done easily. or you can rent a wet saw which will work a little better. if mortaring it in place, i would cut all the pieces and put them in place dry, then label them with a Sharpie so you know how to put hem back in. leave 1/4" or so from your last brick to the top rail for expansion and the mortar between bricks.

ecolbeck
01-13-2021, 07:48 AM
You can also do a passible job using a masonry blade on an angle grinder.

BoerBoel
01-13-2021, 07:55 AM
you can brick it and not mortar it in. many people don't sue mortar, but it is nice to have once you have it where it's going to stay. Bricking is pretty simple. you can use a masonry blade on a chop saw and get the job done easily. or you can rent a wet saw which will work a little better. if mortaring it in place, i would cut all the pieces and put them in place dry, then label them with a Sharpie so you know how to put hem back in. leave 1/4" or so from your last brick to the top rail for expansion and the mortar between bricks.

Is there any advantage to mortaring the bricks other than helping to keep the bricks in place?

tcross
01-13-2021, 08:26 AM
one advantage would be if you had or intend on having an airtight front/arch... risk of bricks falling out during a boil (minimal if you're fairly careful loading it up), looks nicer bricked?. other than that... i'm not sure?

maple flats
01-13-2021, 10:19 AM
Those with the 2x6 version, let me know what you get for evaporation real world once you get going. Since I've cut back from 1300+ taps to 400-500 I'm considering selling my 3x8 and buying a 2x6. I just like my evap rate and wouldn't be happy with less than 30-35 gph. I now get 70-80 gph in and I can run 12% concentrate which helps. I say 70-80 gph in, that is the concentrate in, with evaporation and syrup out. In fact, I've gotten 85 gph, but I don't usually run it that hard.

ir3333
01-13-2021, 10:36 AM
what is the advertised gph for the 18 x 60
Looks gorgeous!

BROWN71
01-14-2021, 04:03 AM
Would it be possible to brick the 2x6 Vision without cementing the bricks in place? I need to move the stove after this season and it would be much easier if I could easily remove the bricks and then cement them in place after the move. Thoughts?

I recommend cementing them in and install caster wheels. SmokyLake sells them, I bet LaPierre does as well. When I dry fitted the bricks for mine they seemed fragile as if they would fall out easily. Cementing them really tightened up the whole arch.

nhdog
01-14-2021, 01:50 PM
ir3333
i have done a couple test boils on mine. i have got the flue pan float set at 1 1/2'' and the syrup at 2''. i may change that when the season starts. with out pushing it and boiling for 1/2 to 3/4 hour at a time i'm getting 14 to 15 gallons a hour based on the amount of water used. i only monitored from the start of a heavy boil to the last wood loading. i think it can do more if i push it a little or ran it for a longer time. i think it's a great little arch, you won't go wrong if you are thinking of getting one .

pete3046
04-13-2021, 06:44 PM
I was wondering if there is any feedback on LaPierre Vision? I'm considering the 2x6 and I'm interested in the gph boil rate and also if the arch accommodates a forced draft? Also wondering if LaPierre is providing a hood with a preheater system?
Thanks,
Pete

Maple River Sugar
12-14-2022, 09:31 AM
I purchased a 2x8 Vision with reverse flow with a hood preheater with lights. I ordered in June 2021 and received Feb 12, 2022. I was super excited about the new rig but not the timing of the delivery and getting on the barn roof in Feb. After insulating and bricking the unit and a test boil we were ready to boil sap. After about the 3rd boil the unit was popping/banging. The front pan ended up being a 1/4" above the second syrup pan and a gap was created under the syrup pans. During the whole season I only made one grade of syrup due to the unlevel syrup pans. At the end of the season we broke down the unit and discovered the top rails warped bending inward and dropping. I returned the unit to the dealer and it was sent back to Canada. It was returned to the dealer with a modification to the arch but the warp was not addressed. Again the unit was shipped back to Canada to repair the warp. I have yet to receive the arch back. The problem is the 2x8 needs a third set of legs behind the ramp but Lapierre is reluctant to acknowledge or address the suggestion. In speaking with the factory plant manager this has been a problem in some of the 2x8 Vision line. My dealer has been very supportive in resolving the problem and my problem isn't with them but the manufacturer.
My experience with boiling was fantastic hands down. My unit would boil across the whole width and length of the flue pan, very happy with boil and draft.