PDA

View Full Version : ladder help!

sap hound sryup
07-23-2020, 08:57 AM
We are setting up a new section of woods and because we need to go around a knoll are main line is going past approximately 60 acres of prime maples around 4000 taps below grade. We have always been able to use above grade tapping and have never used ladders. The set up we use is 2 inch main line wet and dry, 1 inch sub mains we use 1500' pre lash rolls and all of our laterals are 3/16's on good natural gravity along with 26 inches of vacuum from the pump. The overall drop of elevation is 60 feet over 1000 feet of distance. The total length of runs are 2500 feet but for now we would just go the 1500 foot roll. Each sub main will be about 150 feet apart and will carry at least 400 taps . How would you set up the ladders, how many sets of ladders could be tied to each other or does each line require its own ladder, how many 1/2 inch risers. I have way more questions but will start with this Thanks for the help

fred
07-23-2020, 10:44 AM
go to a lift station, much easier and more productive in the long run. ladders for that tap count would be a nightmare

DrTimPerkins
07-23-2020, 02:23 PM
If I understand you correctly, and you need 60+ ft of lift on that many taps, you're probably better off going with a vacuum powered sap piston pump (such as those on the 2020 Lapierre catalog, page 50).

maple flats
07-23-2020, 04:45 PM
I agree, but a series of lifts for that many taps is do-able it would require far more vacuum CFM than the vacuum operated pump.

fred
07-25-2020, 10:15 AM
https://www.cdlusa.com/new/

bottom of the page explains a new lift system

DrTimPerkins
07-25-2020, 11:19 AM
Interesting. Any idea of cost?

fred
07-25-2020, 01:47 PM
$2650 list

maple flats
07-25-2020, 03:30 PM
In the video it looks like the pump speed may not keep up with sap flow on a real good day on 4000 taps. Are there larger options, or is the flow speed because that transfer line s too small?

sap hound sryup
07-26-2020, 07:16 AM
This has the potential to be a real game changer in our operation! We still will have many questions about what happens to the sap in the uphill side the sizing of releaser this one appears small how far can it push the sap etc We use CDL for our operation already and will be talking with our dealer We have the potential of adding well over 10,000 taps in the future if this is feasible will keep everyone updated but might take a while we have a lot of work to do without much help

fred
07-26-2020, 12:11 PM
pumps are sized according to tap count/distance/elevation

maple flats
07-28-2020, 07:50 AM
After looking at the video I thought there had to be options. The CDL catalog gave no indication.

fred
07-28-2020, 08:34 AM
After looking at the video I thought there had to be options. The CDL catalog gave no indication. check with your local dealer and tech support will be the one that adjusts the components to make it fit your situation.

GeneralStark
07-29-2020, 08:43 PM
This is indeed a game changer. I'm working on expanding into an area on my neighbors' land and on federal land (trying to get permit) and the ideal collection point is just slightly higher in elevation than my sugarhouse and about 1200' away. I have a sap lifter that I was thinking of shifting over to that area but this may be a much better solution.

Moser's Maple
08-04-2020, 06:13 AM
Hey I've been away for awhile, but this could be an even big game changer for not just lifting sap. If these can be sized correctly, then if someone has a remote woods with no power, then this can take them away from the mechanical releaser woes.
You could have your gas engine vacuum pump, but use this thing as an extractor, vs. a lifter. You would just be pumping into your collection tank.

GeneralStark
08-13-2020, 08:45 PM
Hey I've been away for awhile, but this could be an even big game changer for not just lifting sap. If these can be sized correctly, then if someone has a remote woods with no power, then this can take them away from the mechanical releaser woes.
You could have your gas engine vacuum pump, but use this thing as an extractor, vs. a lifter. You would just be pumping into your collection tank.

Given that this is marketed as a "lift system" and not an extractor, it may not work in the application you describe. A 12v deep well pump powered by a couple batteries and charged with a solar panel is likely not enough to allow this system to function as a full time extractor. My hunch is that vacuum is required on the sap lift line and the pump merely helps the sap along. So an extractor is still required to make the system function.

That said, I could be wrong and a 12V system could be used as an extractor in the right situation.

fred
08-14-2020, 10:44 AM
this is a combination of all but has to have a vaccum pump somewhere. it will collect lines and transfer to another point the 12v pump will assist the vaccum that already exists

GeneralStark
08-14-2020, 09:16 PM
this is a combination of all but has to have a vaccum pump somewhere. it will collect lines and transfer to another point the 12v pump will assist the vaccum that already exists

So if I'm reading you correctly this system will not function as an extractor/releaser as there needs to be vacuum on the pump out/lift line. In other words, the pump out/lift line needs to be connected to an extractor/releaser. Right?

TapTapTap
08-15-2020, 07:11 AM
You won't get 60 ft of lift off your vacuum, at least when your ladders are saturated. Each inch of vacuum, measured in Hg, is about a foot of sap. So you can't lift more than 30 ft of sap in ideal conditions. I have a vacuum guage on each side of a ladder and can see the difference when the sap is running. The difference moderates when the run slows and vacuum can slip by.

fred
08-15-2020, 09:35 AM
So if I'm reading you correctly this system will not function as an extractor/releaser as there needs to be vacuum on the pump out/lift line. In other words, the pump out/lift line needs to be connected to an extractor/releaser. Right?

this is designed to pull sap from a low spot to the rest of your woods within your system-its not an end point/extractor/seperator