PDA

View Full Version : tap straight in or at a slant?

DrTimPerkins
06-16-2020, 07:21 AM
Do you tap straight in or at a slant?

https://www.themaplenews.com/story/tapholes-–-straight-or-slanted-the-sap-doesnt-care/303/

tcross
06-16-2020, 11:42 AM
i try to tap straight in... mainly because i figured, i use the cv2's, the ball would have a better ability to seal off the hole. but it appears as though that was a misconception on my part. good to have options i suppose!

minehart gap
06-16-2020, 04:45 PM
I have been tapping at a slant but you have proven my reason to do so incorrect. I will most likely tap straight in here on be because I believe that it may make it a little easier to pull the tap at the end.

MapleCamp
06-16-2020, 06:57 PM
I was taught a slight slant for buckets in the 60's. I now use tubing and try to go a straight as possible. I do catch myself when teaching someone new that a slight angle is alright.

mainebackswoodssyrup
06-17-2020, 06:16 AM
I've always tapped at a slight angle because that's how I was taught. Seems it may not be needed. Milwaukee drills and a new tapping bit every year are 2 things I swear by. Had zero tap leaks last season on the lines we had a Shurflo hooked up to from start of the season to finish.

ennismaple
06-17-2020, 10:57 AM
I try to tap straight but can get led astray by a leaning tree.

maple flats
06-17-2020, 04:21 PM
I tap at a slight angle, I think I'll start tapping straight in from now on.

buck3m
06-19-2020, 03:59 PM
"Historically it was recommended that tapholes be drilled at a slight angle to allow sap to run out to reduce freeze heaving of spouts and to reduce sap souring in the taphole."

I use buckets and drill at an angle on the theory that it reduces heaving of spouts. Unless I missed it, this aspect wasn't addressed in the article, so I'll probably continue to drill at an angle.

DrTimPerkins
06-23-2020, 08:10 AM
I use buckets and drill at an angle on the theory that it reduces heaving of spouts. Unless I missed it, this aspect wasn't addressed in the article, so I'll probably continue to drill at an angle.

That is correct. We did not assess spout heaving (although there was none). The study was done on natural vacuum using 3/16" tubing and polycarbonate tubing spouts.

Sugar Bear
06-27-2020, 12:05 PM
That is correct. We did not assess spout heaving (although there was none). The study was done on natural vacuum using 3/16" tubing and polycarbonate tubing spouts.

I am wondering if you might get different results in a different type of season?

Could a short compact season produce different results then say a long drawn out season? For a variety of reasons other then just spout heaving.

Sap hit the road around here by March 15th this year which is two weeks earlier then normal. No beach weather during the run either.

DrTimPerkins
06-27-2020, 07:56 PM
I am wondering if you might get different results in a different type of season?

There is that possibility for many things in maple. In this case, I doubt there would be any difference. There is no reasonable physiological mechanism I can think of that might cause a difference.