PDA

View Full Version : Holes in square plastic buckets for spiles(?)

Pete S
12-23-2007, 09:03 AM
I'm looking to make a change in the way we gather sap. When we started, which was only two seasons ago, we bought small plastic thin walled pails, and made covers from tinfoil roasting pans.

When they work, they work well, when the wind blows,.............so does this method.

I'm considering looking into aquiring some of the white, square plastic pails with lids for this coming season. (am looking to buy)

Does anyone using the aluminum spiles, with the cast aluminum hooks have a "how to" or photo of what type of "hole configuration" is made to accomidate getting the spile INTO the bucket?

I thought I'd ask before I bought some buckets and did the "trial-n error" method!

NOTE: Today; Eastern WI, 35 mph sustained winds, with 45+ mph gusts!

Thanks!
Pete

Dave Y
12-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Pete,
Plastic buckets are o k. But if you drill a hole in the side and it gets cold the buckets get brittle and break. The best way to use plastic bucket is to set them on the ground and run a drop line in to the side of them with the lid snapped on the top

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
12-23-2007, 11:10 AM
When I Went To Plastic Buckets I Used Plastic Spouts With 5/16 Line And Set Them On The Ground.

Rich

VA maple guy
12-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Pete, Dave and Rich are right. Use a drop line with the bucket on the ground.
it's the way to go. Put a rock or a limb on top of the bucket or the wind
might blow them over. If your buckets are big enough, (most of mine are six gallon) you can put two or three taps of a big tree into one bucket.

Gerry

brookledge
12-23-2007, 01:44 PM
I found out along time ago that drilling holes in plastic buckets doesn't last long as Dave said. What I found to work better was to get a spike red hot and melt a hole, it will basicly push the plastic out of the way and leave the area around the hole stronger. The hole might still break out eventually but it will sure last longer than drilling.
Keith

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
12-23-2007, 08:34 PM
plastic isnt forever but it works and you will have to replace buckets eventually

RICH

Bucket Head
12-23-2007, 09:47 PM
With wind like that, it does'nt matter wether you have steel or plastic bucket's on the tree or on the ground- your gonna be chasin' pail's!

Trust me, I have done both and we are on a very windy hill. There's no stopping some of the pail's from taking off. Just round them up and reset them.

I feel the better way for plastic bucket "retention" is to place it on the ground with a weight of some sort and run a drop line to it. We used everything- patio block's, rock's, part's of broken cement block's- anything that had weight to it. If possible, place it on the opposit prevailing wind side of the tree.

The empty weighted plastic pail is heavier than an empty steel pail so they tend to stay put a little better.

Another advantage of the plastic pail/drop line set up is that when it warm's up and the bug's and ant's come out, they can't get into the sap.

Steve

Dennis H.
12-24-2007, 10:03 AM
I will be using plastic buckets with drop lines.

The buckets were the right price, Free.

I went around here stopping at stores that make cakes and donuts and asked for any buckets that they might have,the icing and glazing come in buckets 2-5gal. They all were more than willing to give away the buckets, they just throw them away. Some of the places had to wait a few days till they had enough to give me but again they were more than willing to stack them off to the side and give me a ring when they had a bunch for me.

Just a thought. And if they only last a year or two there is no loss.

HHM-07
12-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Pete,

If you have to buy the plastic pails why not just buy used sap buckets with covers, they will last forever

Dick

Pete S
12-26-2007, 08:08 AM
Cuz, I'm a tight a$$.

I know it doesn't make any sense to buy something that would only last temporary, but thought that the plastic buckets were "the way to go".

I'm begining to lurk about for metalic buckets with lids. Probably more $ but then I'll have'm for the grandkids!

For now I'm looking for about 20 metalic buckets WITH lids.

I say metalic, because I'd probably prefer Aluminum, but would settle for galvanzied............but would "like" the flat tops.

THANKS!
Pete

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-26-2007, 09:23 PM
If you get the good plastic buckets with lids and set them on the ground and put a rock or something on top of them and drill a small hole next to lip on the bucket and run tubing in it with 1 to 3 taps on it. These buckets would probably last for close to forever. I have some that are close to 15 years old that are still as good as new. You can take a piece of pvc pipe or a rag and wrap it good with electrical or duct tape and make a nice soft handle that is much more hand friendly.

Also works good for carrying sap in, the big rag handle works the best!

ibby458
12-27-2007, 07:23 AM
I have 560 of the plastic bucket sets (just did an inventory), and they work wonderfully in the woods. Not so good roadside. The buckets seem to last forever, but I crack a few lids every year. I'm short about 100 lids, and may have to go to the manufacturer to get more :(

Big_Eddy
01-29-2008, 09:49 AM
When we first expanded - I contacted a buddy that worked at the local recycling plant and asked that they set aside some of the 1 gal plastic juice bottles. These are sold with apple juice, cranberry juice etc, and come with a nice plastic handle that hangs over the tap . They worked great - snow and bugs didn't collect in them, EXCEPT - when it froze, the ice would not come out. Never cracked them though. I used them for a few years until I lucked into 100 aluminum buckets and lids for $200.

I gave them to my dad who has been using them for 10 years now. Some of the handles went brittle, but the price was right. We both collect sap by hand pouring into 5 gal camping water jugs so the slightly slower pouring rate is not an issue. (The kids spill too much sap if we let them collect with plain buckets) Might be something to look at if you want cheap buckets. He replenishes any losses over the year by saving up a few more.

Mike
01-31-2008, 09:30 AM
I threw away 550 6 gal buckets with lids 3 yrs ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nobody wanted them!!!!!!!!!! Holes all cut and ready to use.........I was giving them away....

twigbender
02-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Pete: There have been items on eBay several times from a guy (Chris) in Green Bay that sells 4 gal square buckets for $1.75 each. His eBay "handle" is: jd6403 and you may be able to contact him through there. Also, I see that there is currently 10 nice sap buckets on eBay for $24.50. I just searched "sap" under Home and Garden and found them there. Good luck.