PDA

View Full Version : The Maple Syrup Journey Video

DaveB
05-22-2020, 08:10 AM
This spring I decided to work on a subject that is near and close to my heart for my YouTube Channel - maple syrup! I put together a video showing the process but I'm calling it "The Maple Syrup Journey - A Journey of a Thousand Taps". I thought you guys would like to see the fruits of my labors as well:

https://youtu.be/BUuKzv0pEDA

Ultimatetreehugger
05-22-2020, 03:53 PM
Great job! Very well done!

SeanD
05-22-2020, 05:04 PM
That was fun. I can tell a lot of planning went into that - prepping your shot, setting up the camera, etc. Lots of work. Thanks for sharing!

Noticed the A and A evaporator. Did you drive out to PA to get it? Planning to have them make me a tank this summer.

DaveB
05-22-2020, 06:35 PM
Great job! Very well done!

Thanks! Appreciate it.

That was fun. I can tell a lot of planning went into that - prepping your shot, setting up the camera, etc. Lots of work. Thanks for sharing!

Noticed the A and A evaporator. Did you drive out to PA to get it? Planning to have them make me a tank this summer.

Yeah, it's harder than you think. I know the different steps but wanted to show different things. I actually had to order metal spouts and find my old brace drill for that one scene. Then there was pausing to film, etc. I actually shot the first scene last!

Yes, I did get the evaporator from A&A and yes, I did go there to pick it up. I sent them a letter, got the price list and then sent a check for what I wanted. That was in 2013 I believe and I've been happy ever since. We like to travel so they trip was a nice excuse to get out. Wish we could do that now...

maple flats
05-22-2020, 06:48 PM
Nice video, but just a couple of suggestions. Not a good idea to show (or use) a galvanized tank. Second, you will do lots better if you have the wood ready to go in before the door is opened. Every time the door is opened, you lose the boil (or most of it). Get in the habit of having a staging area for the fire wood so you can add the wood faster and get the door closed again sooner. I also think as you added some, you hit the drop flues, that can damage the leading edge of the flues.
Please take these constructively, not defensively. In all it was a great job.