PDA

View Full Version : Steam Hood - does anyone custom make them?

EastridgeMaple
05-08-2020, 10:29 AM
Hello All!

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but I wanted to pick everyones brain to see if they are aware of any places that make steam hoods for evaporators. I have a 2x3 smoky lake hybrid and am going to migrate to a sugar house from boiling outside. I wanted to get a 2x3 suspended hood made for a decent price. All the companies that make them for evaporators want $800-1300. Just curious to see if anyone knows where to get one for about half that?

Thanks!

mainebackswoodssyrup
05-08-2020, 11:18 AM
I don't think you'll find anyone that will make them half price. Stainless is expensive but I will agree that $1300 sounds high for what you want. You should be able to find someone near you that does industrial stainless work and may do some of this on the side. I have a guy not far from me that does but his price was spot on with everyone else for a hood/preheater combo. The bigger companies can get stainless for cheaper but you might save some on labor with a local guy. Either way, probably a wash but it's nice to support local businesses

mol1jb
05-08-2020, 11:30 AM
Hello All!

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but I wanted to pick everyones brain to see if they are aware of any places that make steam hoods for evaporators. I have a 2x3 smoky lake hybrid and am going to migrate to a sugar house from boiling outside. I wanted to get a 2x3 suspended hood made for a decent price. All the companies that make them for evaporators want $800-1300. Just curious to see if anyone knows where to get one for about half that?

Thanks!

Are you handy enough to make your own? I made one for my 2x6 out of aluminum flashing for around $150. It was assembled with food grade caulk and pop rivets.

maple flats
05-08-2020, 12:56 PM
Over the years I've made 3 hoods, for 3 different evaporators. All made using aluminum. 1 &2 were made using flashing, the third was made using sheets from a metals supplier. That was far heavier gauge aluminum and it really taxed my aluminum trim brake, but it finished well.
On my current pans which I ordered custom made by Thor in Quebec gave me a good price on my pans, but when I then asked about a SS hood they priced it a $1950 US. I said I'd make my own, but when I drove there to pick up the new pans they asked if I had made the hood yet, which I hadn't. I was waiting for the pans. Anyways, they asked if I was still interested in one, they had a demo unit the right size that had some minor damage. I looked at it, and the dent was very minor, so I asked how much, they sold it to me for $800, $1150 under the quote. I bought it. At this point I can't find the dent that saved me the money, and it has no new dents.
Maybe check around, somebody may have a 2x3 that has a dent. Being 2x3 means you can put almost any manufacturer's hood on.
If you get a local tin smith to make one using SS be sure it has gutters around the inside to catch condensation and a drain to send it to a bucket. A hood and it's stack catch lots of condensate. Under the stack you want a shallow funnel suspended from in the stack and a drain to the gutter.

motowbrowne
05-08-2020, 05:46 PM
A&A metal shop in PA shows a 2x3 hood for $170 I'm the most recent price list I've seen. Even it's it's double that, it's cheap. They sell stainless steam stack also. They have a facebook page now too, so they shouldn't be too hard to get ahold of.

fred
05-08-2020, 07:15 PM
give me a call ill see what i can do.

minehart gap
05-08-2020, 09:14 PM
A local to me Amish tinsmith supplied and bent a stainless hood for my 2 1/2' X 8' for $260.00. Are there any Amish tin shops near you? Might want to ask around.

Father & Son
05-09-2020, 07:03 AM
Creekside Welding and Machine in Girard, Pa does nice work.
I think you can order from A & A metal through Ray Gingerich (Deer Run Maple) in Orwell, OH.
You are sitting in the middle of Amish Country. Check local.

SeanD
05-09-2020, 07:10 AM
motowbrowne,

Thanks for the tip on the FB page. Where did you get that price? I can't find a price list for them.

SeanD
05-09-2020, 07:52 AM
Found the answer to my own question here on the MT. Next question - does anyone know if their stainless storage tanks are round bottomed? Or what it means that they "do not include crating"?

mainebackswoodssyrup
05-09-2020, 08:11 AM
Wow- those are good prices from A&A

maple flats
05-09-2020, 08:34 AM
Just a guess, but if the item needs to be packed in a crate to ship it, that will be an extra charge. If you go pick it up, no crate needed, maybe.

SeanD
05-09-2020, 08:54 AM
Wow- those are good prices from A&A

Right?!! I'm headed out to Ohio this summer and I'd be crazy not to at least stop in for a peek.

Dave, I figured if anyone knew, you would. I was thinking along the same lines as you, but then I was thinking that the round-bottom tanks have at crate-like structure around them. Maybe I'm overthinking it. I'm going to try to get in contact with them and find out.

Eastridge, you have a lot of Amish craftsmen in your backyard!

maple flats
05-09-2020, 02:28 PM
Remember, I started by saying it was just a guess.

SeanD
05-09-2020, 04:52 PM
A and A got back to me. Turns out the tank is rectangular and needs a frame built around it to support the metal from bending from the weight of the sap. It's 24 ga. stainless. He recommended a plywood bottom and 2x4 ribs on the side.

For the hood, they can offset the stack and attach hooks so it can be hung - which is what I am looking for.

n8hutch
05-09-2020, 07:10 PM
Creekside Welding and Machine in Girard, Pa does nice work.
I think you can order from A & A metal through Ray Gingerich (Deer Run Maple) in Orwell, OH.
You are sitting in the middle of Amish Country. Check local.

I would caution against directing people to creekside, I have a buddy that has been waiting 2 years on an Evaporator from them. And the guy has his Money.

motowbrowne
05-09-2020, 08:29 PM
I would caution against directing people to creekside, I have a buddy that has been waiting 2 years on an Evaporator from them. And the guy has his Money.

There was a post on facebook to a similar effect. Many people chimed in who had had the same experience.

fred
05-11-2020, 09:07 AM
H and M in burton ohio.

EastridgeMaple
05-11-2020, 12:26 PM
Thank you everyone for the replies. I have a call in to H&M Fabricating in Burton and then I'll contact A&A. My main concern is making sure that is has channels and a threaded drain port, or at least that they can fabricate that part for it. I'll reply again once I hear back just in case anyone is curious on pricing!

fred
05-11-2020, 06:29 PM
With h and m you have to stop in.

Father & Son
05-12-2020, 07:23 PM

My statement says “does nice work”. What goes on between a company and a client isn’t anyones business. Let them work it out.

BillC
08-02-2020, 09:40 AM
A bit late, but I made this for about $250 including the fan. Probably could have been less but i had all the sheet aluminum cut to size

CTguy923
09-19-2020, 11:24 AM
so this year i,m upgrading to a 2x3 Mason evaporator and thinking about a hood, question is do i want the hood to be 2x3 as well or does the hood need to be a bit bigger ??, this is going to be suspended above the pan somewhat

maple flats
09-19-2020, 02:30 PM
I'm on my 4th evaporator, all with hoods and all were the size of the pan. However when I had a 2x3 the hood was only used as I shut down, that hood was more to keep insects out and it had a screen on the stack. On my 2x6, and both of my 3x8 evaporators the back pan had a hood to fit the pan and the front (syrup pan) was suspended about 14-16" above the pan. If you are going to use the hood when boiling I'd suggest it be 6" or more larger in both width and length and be suspended above the pan because on a 2x3 you are generally just running the syrup pan and you really want to see what is happening in the pan.

CTguy923
09-20-2020, 09:52 AM
thanks Maple flats for the response...now i just have to find someone around my area that builds them

UB29
09-24-2020, 08:00 AM
CTguy,
Bill Mason is currently making me a hood for my 2x4XL. I went with 3'x5', to accommodate a little overlap as Dave suggests. Hood will be SS, w/gutters and drain, and aluminum stack. Cost is $450. , including 4ft of stack. Extensions on stack will be additional. I love Bill's products and workmanship; and I'm sure the hood will be a winner also.
Thanks, Bill

CTguy923
09-25-2020, 05:22 PM
thats not a bad price at all, i,m hoping he has my evaporator done this month sometime, cant wait to go pick it up and get it set up

bmbmkr
10-23-2020, 05:23 PM
Tackin a question on here, how wide & deep do the gutters need to be? I have a 2x6 raised flue that boils off 35-40gph with AUF/AOF. I have some stainless & aluminum sheet. I built a hood for my 18"x6' drop flue rig but never got gutters on it moved it out & boiled with the 2x6 last year. I really want to get my hood & pre heater done this year. Since we are not doubling the tap count again this year i have a little more time to get it done.

CTfarm
01-17-2021, 03:53 PM
>UB29
How did Bill's steam hood work for you? I love his work. Does the steam go up the hood and stack or just around it? How high is the hood over the pan? Thanks