PDA

View Full Version : Tap Wood Lumber

markjustinmoore
04-26-2020, 07:01 AM
So my wife and I are building a house that we are planning to do some accent walls with wood. So I wanted to reach out to see if anyone knew of, had, or was milling maple tap lumber. I'd love to be able to snag some lumber that had actual character. Thanks for any help.

maple flats
04-26-2020, 09:02 AM
It puzzles me that sawmills devalue tapped maple so much but when you try to buy some tap hole lumber it is priced way up above the same thing in other grades of lumber. It seems many like to make it into novelty items like wall switch covers and the like.
Good luck finding some. I might suggest you ask the New York State Maple Producers Association, they used it to panel their booth at the NYS Fair grounds.

markjustinmoore
04-26-2020, 09:08 AM
Awesome. At least thats a starting point.

BAP
04-26-2020, 11:36 AM
Try searching Taphole Maple for sale and see what you get.

Maplewalnut
04-26-2020, 01:01 PM
Good Luck. There used to be a lumberyard around Bennington, VT that carried it when available. I will see if I can find the name unless someone else knows it off the top of their head

bill m
04-26-2020, 04:52 PM
Maplewalnut, You are thinking of Eagle Lumber in Stamford Vt. They were south/east of Bennington. They closed sometime after a fire in 2012. Someone purchased the property in 2016 and is operating under the name of H.P. Lumber.

doocat
04-26-2020, 05:46 PM
Prices sawmill in Lenox, Pa. May be a Kingsley address. I bought some boards from them years back. They like dabbling in odd wood. Good people. Craig...

TapTapTap
04-27-2020, 07:42 AM
We built our house a couple of years ago (2018-19) with some different wood species from our property, including taphole maple for flooring. The tapholes are filled with fiberglass resin as are all of the imperfections from knots, cracks, and other defects. The reason that mills don't use wood with these character traits is that there is very little market, at least for flooring due to the need to fill the defects. It's a huge amount of extra work and the marketplace has demanded less expensive and quick/easy to install products.

We are very pleased with the looks of our flooring. We have ash, hickory, and lots of maple, and multiple boards with tapholes. The wood was harvested for our house lot and road. We had a local sawyer come saw and we helped tail the boards. The boards were sent off to a local flooring mill in Bristol, Vermont (http://exclusivelyvermont.com/). We had the approximately 1800 sf professionally installed, sanded, and finished.

My only regret is that we separated the wood species by rooms except for the master bedroom which was a mix of all woods - and it came out the best! So in hindsight I would have mixed the species throughout the house.

Jason Gagne
04-27-2020, 07:33 PM
Spalted maple with tap hole flooring. It was kiln dried planed and squared 4 sides by Tom Lathrope in Bristol, Vermont.214312143221433

We also installed a figured cherry floor21434
Jason