PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a Timberline Chain Sharpener?

Bruce L
04-20-2020, 05:47 AM
I’ve had one for a couple of years now, but it seems to be hit and miss for getting the saw sharp. I like the accuracy,no more cutting crescent moons,but saw should cut like a new chain after every sharpening. I keep the rakers at the level they should be,and check the bar frequently for burs. This saw seems to be terrible for loosening the chain all the time,no matter how much you come onto the nuts.562 xp husqvarna

JoeJ
04-20-2020, 05:58 AM
I have had what I think is the original version of the Timberline Chainsaw Sharpener (The Arnold Precision Chainsaw Sharpener) for 30 years years and it still works very well. It will sharpen your chain to almost factory sharp with factory precision. The only problem I had with it is I loaned the sharpener to a friend who turned the carbide backwards and ruined it. Otherwise, I am still using the replacement carbide I bought
28 years ago. Always turn the carbide clockwise and do not let anyone else use the tool.

Joe

maple flats
04-20-2020, 08:08 AM
I bought one of that type by a company called Gamn back in the late 70's. Looks exactly like the Timberline. I used it for about a year but then decided I did just as well hand filing. That went on until about 2010, when arthritis got to bothering me. At that time I had a hired man who did most of my cutting, I dropped the trees, he bucked and split. I showed him how to hand sharpen several times but he never got it right. I then just bought a bunch of extra chains. I had him change to a new chain as needed and just hand the dull one on a nail. I then got a Maxx sharpener and I'd sharpen 10 or more at a setting. It was fast and accurate. I still use it, no longer have a hired man. I do still carry a sharp file if needed in the woods, but most all sharpening is done on the Maxx (an Italian mfgr)

eagle lake sugar
04-20-2020, 08:43 AM
I have a Timberline and like it. The angle seems a little different than the factory tooth, so it sometimes takes a couple sharpening to cut right. After that, a quick sharpening each time has it back to cutting like a new chain.

Jc2white
04-22-2020, 02:50 PM
I have one. It is great. A bit of a learning curve. If you do real damage to your chain you are best to file it out. I would buy another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wobbletop
04-22-2020, 02:55 PM
I bought one of the Stihl sharpeners and find it to be outstanding. Sharpens and adjusts the rake at the same time.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/filing-tools/2in1file/

Sunday Rock Maple
04-22-2020, 07:21 PM
Try a shorter bar on that 562, I have a 575 that had similar issues. Went to a shorter bar a couple years ago and the problem went away

groomer_guy
03-29-2023, 01:49 PM
I have had one for 7 years now and like it. Works great and was very easy to use. I would recommend it to anyone.