PDA

View Full Version : building hoods

Bruce Kilgore
03-21-2004, 06:46 AM
Hi, does anyone out there have a good set of plans to build a sream hood for a 2x3 king flu pan?

WF MASON
03-21-2004, 11:34 AM
Piece a' cake Bruce , your setup has a 3' front and a 3' flue pan right ?
The hood would be like making a new front pan without the drawoff boxes and partitions. 8'' deep or high , the width and lenght of your pan. A 1'' flat lip on the bottom , and a 1'' lip bent up inside to catch the condensate.Inside corners need to be notched and sealed to let the condensate flow around and out the side box that is slanted down slightly with a nipple on the bottom . The side box is also where your 6'' collar would be for your steam stack. I believe your pan may have a rolled top on it ?So the hood is'nt going to want to set there. You'll need to make brackets for it to rest on or hold it in place.Next,
in the top of the hood you'll need to cut a 12''x12'' door. Once the hole is cut you'll need to reinforce the opening with thin angle iron made of what the hood is made of. Make up a 13''x13'' door that will need to be hinged or set on to cover the opening.
WHEW...Depending on material used,$100. and twenty hours labor , good luck.

Bruce Kilgore
03-22-2004, 07:16 AM
Thank you Mr. Mason. I have the gist of your idea, however I am limited in the metal working tool dept. Can I get this thing to bolt together? How did you mean to seal the inside gutter? Perhaps I'll need to do a drawing and go to a fabractor, big $$$. I wonder if a post looking for a used hood would be easier? Thank you again. Bruce

WF MASON
03-22-2004, 02:05 PM
It could be made out of aluminum , cut with tin snips and pop rivot it .

Salmoneye
03-22-2004, 02:41 PM
I have seen people do it out of 10 mil plastic and 2x2 lumber...Extend the sides out past the edges of the pan and let the water drip on the floor or get fancy and lip it and catch it...

It can be as easy or difficult as you want to make it...

The corners of a metal inside trough for catching water can be either welded, soldered or epoxied with 100 solids epoxy...JB-Weld will not tell you that they are 'food grade' but they will tell you that it will work inside of a hot water heater...I have asked LOL