PDA

View Full Version : Small Releaser and 12CFM Vacuum pump

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
04-15-2020, 12:15 PM
Can anyone recommend a small releaser? I dont need a very big one as its for a small bush of about 150 silver and red maples. Its a flat area and I did not get the results I had hoped for using a Shurflo on these trees, so I am trying a bit of a stronger pump. I am going to try a 12CFM vacuum pump on a mainline setup and need a small releaser for what I have in mind.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

jrgagne99
04-15-2020, 12:42 PM
I run a single mechanical Bernard with a $60 2.5 CFM pump from Amazon to maintain 27 inches on my 150 red maples.

Wolfcreek Maple
04-15-2020, 12:42 PM
Do you want mechanical or electric,if you have electric ,an electrical releaser is the only way to go in my opinion.If your handy you can build your own releaser. We run two seperate woods on releasers we made one has 200 taps other has 400 they work well.

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
04-15-2020, 12:43 PM
WolfCreek, I will have electric available at the site. Are there any online plans on how to build one? I can do that if I know where to begin.

Thanks!

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
04-15-2020, 12:44 PM
Thats basically what I am looking at, one of those knockoff Chinese vacuum pumps and just see the results I will get.

I run a single mechanical Bernard with a $60 2.5 CFM pump from Amazon to maintain 27 inches on my 150 red maples.

Wolfcreek Maple
04-15-2020, 07:08 PM
I believe if you do a search on here you will find it .If that doesn't work pm me and i can send you pics and parts list

maple flats
04-16-2020, 09:09 AM
Keep your eye on the classifieds on this site and the adds in The Maple News from now thru October. or November. If you find nothing used look into a small releaser by Sobles. I don't know what the singles are but about 6 years ago I bought a double horizontal for $800 and you will need a moisture trap, it was $200. Those prices may have gone up like many other things. P.M. me and I can give you the contact number if you want. They are made by the inventor's son in law in New York state.

maple flats
04-16-2020, 09:17 AM
For 150 taps you will do well with a smaller vacuum pump, 2-3 CFM is more than enough. You do need to keep a tight (leak free) system. On your Shurflo, system did you have a re-circulation line to keep the diaphragm wet? With 150 taps the Shurflo should do well, but it will not handle sap ladders. For a real vacuum pump 1 CFM is good for 100 taps but only if kept leak free, 1 cfm/50 gives a little leeway.