PDA

View Full Version : Shelf life of syrup at room temperature

Bruce L
04-14-2020, 04:46 PM
Just got an email from a customer that purchased quite a bit of gift size syrup containers before the pandemic hit,he is curious about shelf life in their office at room temperature. I personally think it should be okay as long as it isn’t in sunlight. Hot packed in glass bottles,40 ml to 100 ml. Thoughts? Thanks

fred
04-14-2020, 06:27 PM
i have nips and sample bottles from before i was born. im 46................

Russell Lampron
04-14-2020, 06:40 PM
As long as it's not in direct sunlight it will still be good until well after the pandemic is over.

maple flats
04-14-2020, 07:25 PM
I have syrup packed in glass from 2004-5, still good. In plastic it would only be OK for about 7-8 mos, glass lasts a real long time.

mainebackswoodssyrup
04-14-2020, 08:08 PM
I have syrup packed in glass from 2004-5, still good. In plastic it would only be OK for about 7-8 mos, glass lasts a real long time.

I cracked open a plastic jug last weekend that was 4 years old and it was fine.

Russell Lampron
04-15-2020, 07:27 AM

I cracked open a plastic jug last weekend that was 4 years old and it was fine.

Last year I removed some plastic jugs of golden from my shelves that was almost 4 years old and repacked it in a drum to bring to Bruce. Every one of them tasted as good as it did the day that it was packed.

DrTimPerkins
04-15-2020, 07:40 AM
Maple syrup from commercial packers typically is stamped with a shelf life of 18 or 24 months regardless of the type of container it is packed in. Realistically, there is little change in flavor while in a sealed plastic or glass container. In plastic jugs the syrup will darken (slowly in coated jugs, much faster in uncoated jugs) due to oxygen permeation through the plastic. In metal (depending on the construction, presence or absence of an internal coating), syrup can take on a metallic taste over a prolonged period of time, but color tends to be stable.