PDA

View Full Version : Best 5/16 drop line tubing?

Bucket Head
04-06-2020, 09:53 PM
I know this question is a lot like the Ford vs. Chevy question, but I'd still like to hear everyone's opinions.

Who makes the most flexible, user friendly 5/16 drop line tubing? What have you used and liked? I'm looking to change all my 3/16 drops out to the 5/16 drops and would like to get something that is easy to use. The last 5/16 tubing I bought for drops was very difficult to get on the fittings with the single-hand tool. I'm hoping to get away from that kind of workout!

Thanks.

Steve

hogisland42
04-07-2020, 06:11 AM
Everyone has there own opinion on this, and I have tried most brands. I have always been a big of leader tubing, but this winter I tried some green tubing that I got from H2o and I love it, for drop lines at least.

VTnewguy
04-07-2020, 06:40 AM
I have used leader max flow flex on my 5/16 drops with no problems. I think on any brand as long as you are getting a flexible material you should be good. Stay away from 30P or material like that for drops. On a side note you'll like the 5/16 drops in 3/16 lines. It works great.

Bucket Head
04-07-2020, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guy's. -Steve

Sugarmaker
04-08-2020, 09:40 AM
Yep 30P is way to stiff for drops. But lots of other flex tubing out there from all the suppliers!
Regards,
Chris

Jeff E
04-08-2020, 03:50 PM
Not to be a stick in the mud, but I have used the Leader Max Flow Flex, CDL tubing and 30p for drops. I still prefer the 30p as it has such a slick inner surface, it cleans up real nice. the Flex just holds scum for ever. I really like for ease of tapping, but for cleanliness, I prefer the 30p. I haven't had the CDL tubing out there long enough to be convinced yet, but so far is cleans up nice, and is more flexible than the 30p. Time will tell.
by the way, I don't change my drops, just the tap adaptors each year. I tend to replace a lot of drops anyway due to critters.

DrTimPerkins
04-08-2020, 03:56 PM
I tend to replace a lot of drops anyway due to critters.

We've used a lot of Leader 30P also, and you're right, it does seem to stay a bit cleaner. Since we use a lot of CV spouts, our biggest issue with it is that our laterals and drops tend to be fairly old. When you get to about 8-10 yrs, the fittings on 30P start to spin on the tubing or pull apart at tees/unions. To counter that we'd cut out every tee and union and replace them. If you're going to do that...might as well replace drops too. That, combined with our starting to do quite a bit more tapping below the lateral means that we've started using semi-rigid (flex) tubing more for drops than we used to in order to gain some flexibility in taphole position.

In summary...both rigid and semi-rigid work, but can require slightly different approaches. Not a big deal either way.

Bucket Head
04-09-2020, 08:46 PM
I agree, the max flo flex drops have all sorts of crud in them. And I had a fair amount of difficulty getting it on the fittings. Despite the great flexibility of it I don't think I'm going to get any more of that.

And I also agree on the spinning fittings after some years use. 30p is good stuff- I have a lot of it in use and like it overall- but it would be a little stiff for drop lines.

sapman
04-09-2020, 09:32 PM
Used lots of Leader 30p and some flex. Started with cdl two years ago. Two seasons in and it's my favorite so far. One nice thing is I can kink it when checking for leaks, and when released, it doesn't have the memory like 30p, and less money than flex. Pushes on polycarbonate spout easily, too.

Bucket Head
04-10-2020, 09:55 AM
I think I'm going to go with CDL also. My 3/16 lines are all CDL. A neighboring sugar maker has used CDL products now for a few years and is very happy with it's performance.

maple flats
04-10-2020, 01:59 PM
I've tried Leader 30P and Flex, LaPierre, and D&G (flex?). In use I like the flexability of the softer tubings but I have gone to all 30P for my drops, all of which are 5/16. For my lateral line I've been using and like D&G 3/16, but I still use 30P for my 5/16 laterals and my sap ladders using the spider method.

Sugarmaker
04-10-2020, 07:40 PM
Folks,
I wanted to clarify some things about our sugarbush and tubing systems using 30P as drops. I have uses 30P as drops, maybe have one or two left in 650 taps. I do like it because I feel it does stay cleaner, no real proof on that but some of my 5/16 "mainline" in 30P still looks pretty good after 10 years.
The more flexible drops are better for us as we:
1, rinse or tubing with water and kink the drop to shut off the water when plugging the spout into the cup tee.
2, roll up the short runs of tubing (10 to 30 taps) and the more flexible drops make that a whole lot easier too.
3, used hot water to soften the flex tubing and install new spiles and drop lines at the sugarhouse last year.
Regards,
Chris

Bucket Head
04-10-2020, 09:15 PM
Like Chris, I also roll up and store short runs. Flexible tubing helps out with that task! And my father and I also went to using water/hot water to help out with the flex tubing. We got by but it was a workout. By far, the most difficulty we've had putting fittings and spiles in tubing.

maple flats
04-11-2020, 09:34 AM
Ease of putting fittings in tubing is part of why I like Leader 30P. I use a LOAC two hand tool to assemble them when doing ahead but a LOAC 1 hand or a line Viper (one hand) tool for repairs. The softer tubings are all more of a pain to assemble IMHO.