PDA

View Full Version : 275 gallon caged tank: How bad is the sloshing when gathering?

buck3m
04-04-2020, 11:33 AM
I've been using four 55 gallon barrels to gather, but am considering switching to a single caged tank to simplify things. I'd be towing it through the woods, on a two wheel trailer pulled by an old Farmall H.

How big of an issue will sloshing be?

Mead Maple
04-04-2020, 11:42 AM
Well, it can be significant given the size. The fuller the better but Im sure ol bessy wont have too much an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maple flats
04-04-2020, 12:33 PM
It will slosh a lot, but just drive slowly and it will work fine. Between stops you will want to screw the cap on.

buck3m
04-04-2020, 12:58 PM
It will slosh a lot, but just drive slowly and it will work fine. Between stops you will want to screw the cap on.

Thanks. Have you used one for this purpose yourself?

I was planning to have the gatherers dump sap into a smaller container and pump into the tank, leaving everything set up as we drive along. I'd only be using the small hole in the top cover to run the hose into. I was thinking I'd lose a negligible amount of sap to splashing that way?

The four barrels work fine used in a similar fashion, but it's switching between them and keeping track of how full they are that's the issue.

Russell Lampron
04-04-2020, 01:21 PM
I use a 325 gallon tank behind an International 454. I travel a rough road and the sloshing isn't an issue. My trailer has really stiff springs on it and can take the weight. If your trailer does well with the 55 gallon barrels it should also do well with the cage tank.

SeanD
04-04-2020, 03:02 PM
I have a cage tank in the back of my truck, so not the safe surface conditions but sudden stops can make things interesting. A friend of mine whoo used to fish tuna said he would fill a container with water, put a lid on it and drop it in his hold to help steady the shifting ice and water. He told me I should do the same thing with a 2 or 5 gallon bucket. I don't feel like I need to do that, but I'm wondering if anyone had ever heard of anything like that.

Mead Maple
04-04-2020, 04:29 PM
SeanD. What he is referring to is creating a baffle of sorts. It would help if you ran it a lot less than full

OP- I use mine in back of my pick up truck, a 275. Like I wrote before, its actually safer full than not. I have used it for two years and have not had any major issues, but the majority of my traveling is on dirt roads. I wouldnt hesitate to use it. Theyre super cheap and very easy to find. I have 4 of them in use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buck3m
04-04-2020, 07:16 PM
...A friend of mine who used to fish tuna said he would fill a container with water, put a lid on it and drop it in his hold to help steady the shifting ice and water. He told me I should do the same thing with a 2 or 5 gallon bucket. I don't feel like I need to do that, but I'm wondering if anyone had ever heard of anything like that.

I think he knows what he's talking about, although it would seem that several buckets would be even better. Earlier I found this on Youtube. The problem would be the expense of food grade hose: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D_S8GxjTO4

I plan to go ahead and use the tank without baffles. We'll only be driving at low speed in the woods and if splashing won't be an issue it should work well.

Bucket Head
04-04-2020, 08:02 PM
You should do fine with the H. Not many aluminum or plastic parts on that old girl. lol. Plenty of weight and pulling power there. Now if you said you had the small, off-set seat, cultivator unit (maybe an A?), I'd say wait just a minute...

I used a cage tank for years in the back of a pick up and had a cut-down plastic barrel at bumper level for a "dumping station". Had a 12 volt boat bilge pump with a float switch in the barrel and it pumped the sap up and into the tank. It's no fun climbing up anywhere and trying to reach for and dump pails into the top opening on any tank. Takes the fun right out of it- I know!

Good luck with it!

Steve

1arch
04-04-2020, 11:58 PM
I think he knows what he's talking about, although it would seem that several buckets would be even better. Earlier I found this on Youtube. The problem would be the expense of food grade hose: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D_S8GxjTO4

I plan to go ahead and use the tank without baffles. We'll only be driving at low speed in the woods and if splashing won't be an issue it should work well.
Great idea, any concern about food grade quality of the plastic?

buck3m
04-05-2020, 06:45 AM
Great idea, any concern about food grade quality of the plastic?

My tank will be food grade plastic as would be any baffling materials. The guy in the video wasn’t hauling sap and it looked like non food grade hose.

bill m
04-05-2020, 07:16 AM
I would be less concerned with food grade hose and be more concerned with how to keep it clean. Enclosed tanks are notorious for building up bacteria if not washed on a regular basis. Not sure how you would keep that hose clean without taking it out and washing it.

Sugarmaker
04-05-2020, 08:29 AM
We use a non-baffled poly tank in the pickup, it's a 325 gallon leg tank. So it is just a little lower than a 275 cage tank. I have a steel skid under it with the tank, which just fits the length of the bed with the tailgate up. the leg tank is banded to the skid. The tank is also ratchet strapped in the truck bed on both sides. I drive it carefully but have been know to get it up to the speed limit at certain times too. I really don't notice the sloshing. And it is full many times during the season. I think you will be fine with your H pulling it. The suggestion about the large lid is right on the money. Most of the cage tanks have a 8 inch lid. I would suggest buying and installing a 14 or 16 inch lid. Much easier to get in and rinse. We lift drain and rinse our tank after the last run of the day.
And yes it your lifting and dumping into it they are pretty tall. A dump and pump system can save your backs. BTDT!
Keep boiling!
Regards,
Chris

DocsMapleSyrup
04-05-2020, 07:35 PM
If you get the long sap filter and put it in the tote and pour through the filter when collecting, it actually acts as a damper in the tank and breaks up the wave action. No lid necessary as the sap does slosh around like a tank without the long filter.