PDA

View Full Version : Syrup color

jwmiller
03-30-2020, 08:53 AM
Hello,
I just boiled my first batch of the year this weekend (located in Northern MN) and ended up with almost a gallon of syrup which is a pretty good haul for me. This is my 4th year doing syrup on my own. The finished product this year looks a lot lighter and almost cloudy compared to what I've done in the last few years. This years batch is on the left and last years is the darker, clearer stuff on the right. Would you guys consider my current batch (on the left) to be cloudy? Or how would you classify that color and clarity? Is it good? poor?

30AcreWoods
03-30-2020, 10:32 AM
I'm sure the experts will start asking questions like: did you make proper density (hydrometer, temperature compensated)? What was your filtering method? What kind of filter do you use? Pre-filters, how many? Did you heat the glass jars before bottling (or not)? It is very typical to make light syrup at the beginning of a season.

Sugarmaker
03-30-2020, 10:46 AM
How does it taste on pancakes?:) You did good!
Keep boiling!
Regards,
Chris

jwmiller
03-30-2020, 11:10 AM
I'm sure the experts will start asking questions like: did you make proper density (hydrometer, temperature compensated)? What was your filtering method? What kind of filter do you use? Pre-filters, how many? Did you heat the glass jars before bottling (or not)? It is very typical to make light syrup at the beginning of a season.

I boiled to 218 degrees (I'm at approx 1,000 ft elevation) - I've never used a hydrometer but will make that change one of these years... I filtered with the main heavy duty twice; once after the outdoor wood fired boil was boiled down enough to bring inside, and the second time I filtered right after I hit 218 and before I bottled. I also use prefilters to filter the sap before its boiled and I also stick 2 prefilters in with the main heavy duty filter when filtering the syrup. Yes I did heat the glass jars before filling.

Would you guys consider my last batch (lighter stuff on the left in pic) to be cloudy? All of my batches since I've started doing this, both early and late season, turned out almost that exact same darker, clearer color on the right. I've never really had to deal with "cloudy" sap or syrup before, so I guess my question is would you guys consider this to be cloudy syrup? For the record, it tastes great :)

DrTimPerkins
03-30-2020, 11:22 AM
Syrup color can vary quite a bit day-to-day, season-to-season, and even within a day. Nothing to really be concerned about.

It is not that unusual for syrup to be a little hazy/cloudy when using a cone filter. It may clear up some as the very fine niter settles out over time.

Enjoy it!

30AcreWoods
03-30-2020, 12:04 PM
A lot of folks on here have noted that there are fine niter issues this season. I'd go with taste, though. If it tastes good, then it IS good! You'll hear a lot about heating vs. not heating glass jars, etc. I bottled some in glass on Saturday and had some fine bubble foam in half of them - it tends to happen with the darker syrup for me. Let those jars sit for a few days and see if the fine stuff settles to the bottom. At 1,000 ft, depending on the pressure, you may be a bit heavy at 218. But really, just make some pancakes and waffles and enjoy all the hard work!

jwmiller
03-30-2020, 12:53 PM
At 1,000 ft, depending on the pressure, you may be a bit heavy at 218. When you say a bit heavy, you mean cooked for too long/too high of a temp? I had 2 different digital thermometers in the pot while I was doing the finishing boiling. I pulled it off the stove when one of the thermometers hit 218 but the 2nd one was still at 216.

30AcreWoods
03-30-2020, 01:09 PM
Yes, I mean cooked a bit too long - but you would have to know the barometric pressure. If you search on here you will find a link or two to correction tables for boiling point of water with a given barometric pressure. Sometimes even 217 is too hot. There are also a few apps out there that will do the same for syrup. I think if you make syrup a lot, or want to make a lot of syrup, it's worth having a hydrometer - in my opinion. I have accurate thermometers on my evaporator (I boil water and calibrate them, or calibrate them in an ice bath), and still it is hard to pull syrup off using only the thermometers. And the same goes for finishing in the kitchen. But again, that is just my experience.

bprifle01
03-30-2020, 04:31 PM
I am at 700 feet elevation and Sunday morning when I was finishing my last batch of syrup the boiling point of water was 208. When I hit 216 my syrup was at proper density as checked with a hydrometer.

30AcreWoods
03-30-2020, 11:05 PM
I am at 850 ft and had the same thing happen on Saturday.

toquin
03-31-2020, 07:00 AM
Different glass.

Sugarmaker
03-31-2020, 08:04 AM
You need to get a temp grading kit, around $30. Then get some extra sample bottles too. This will give you a good indication of the clarity. I agree those jars may be distorting the clairity. Your syrup is for sure lighter, than the other. Nice job!
Keep boiling!
Regards,
Chris

jwmiller
03-31-2020, 10:44 AM
What is the advantage of a grading kit over a basic hydrometer?

I'm looking at buying this hydrometer... is it good enough for what I need? I've read there are sap and syrup hydrometers, so I will clarify that I want one for syrup. Also, what number does the hydrometer read when the syrup done? Is it an exact number or a range?

https://www.amazon.com/Hydrometer-Moisture-Measurement-Consistently-Delicious/dp/B07XYQLSCL/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2RZDI20GQ74H0&keywords=hydrometer+maple+syrup&qid=1585669827&sprefix=hydrometer+maple+%2Caps%2C177&sr=8-3

30AcreWoods
03-31-2020, 10:53 AM
It is a temporary grading kit. It has sample bottles of each grade for a given year. You fill a sample bottle, hold it up to a white background and see where your syrup fits with the "official" grades. It will also let you see your clarity compared to clear samples.

https://www.leaderevaporator.com/p-189-vermont-temporary-maple-syrup-grading-kit.aspx

Sugarmaker
03-31-2020, 06:30 PM
This is my grading kit slightly enlarged and probably cost $500 for the two windows!:)

https://i.imgur.com/nQDTUKj.jpg?1

You need the hydrometer too.
Regards,
Chris

30AcreWoods
04-01-2020, 08:50 AM
Love your stained glass window! I have a friend with the same thing. About 20-years worth of boils in his collection. Agree about the hydrometer.

Gremlin
04-01-2020, 09:51 AM
I've been doing this syrup thing about 5 years now and still learning. This is the first year I've used a hydrometer. Used a digital thermometer previously. With the therm it was always hit and miss. Sometimes too thick, sometimes too thin. This year with hydrometer results - perfect density.

I just cook/finish the syrup until the top red line on hydrometer is visible - simple as that.
And like I mentioned above - perfect. I don't pay any attention to the numbers on hydrometer.
As far as color - it all tastes good. My filtering method is that same as yours.
I only have 20 taps (just about right for a 1 man operation) and syrup is for family use only.

Don't know if there is a Fleet Farm near you in MN but that is where I bought my hydrometer and cup.