PDA

View Full Version : Ants in buckets... should I pull my taps?

Marj
03-28-2020, 03:26 PM
This is my second year tapping my black walnut trees. Yesterday when checked the buckets there were a few ants on 4 of my 15 buckets. There was very little sap in the buckets so I planned on rinsing the buckets today and collect more sap this week since it looks like we'll have a few days with colder evening temps. When I went to rinse the buckets today I found that most have a lot of ants in them as well as on the spiles so I'm thinking I should maybe call it a year and pull the taps. Black walnuts produce much less sap compared to maples but I was happy last year getting 20 gallons of sap from 10 trees. This year I added another 5 buckets but have only collected 15 gallons so far and was hoping to get a bit more. The trees have not started budding yet and the sap is still dripping slowly but I'm not sure what to do because of the ants. I filter the sap before boiling but am wondering if anyone has any other recommendations for me. Thanks for your help!

Sugarmaker
03-28-2020, 05:47 PM
Filter them out and keep going. Do you need freezing nights to have the black walnut trees run? Just call it the anut run. Next should be the moth run.:)
Regard,
Chris

Marj
03-28-2020, 08:19 PM
Ha! Yes, black walnuts need the freezing nights for a good run. I like your idea of naming the runs... thanks!

DuncanFTGC/SS
03-29-2020, 06:13 AM
This year I have ants on 4 of my maple taps, they get filtered out pouring into my collection tank.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk