PDA

View Full Version : Oil Fired arch options for smaller producers

nymapleguy607
03-25-2020, 08:25 AM
Hi all, we have reached the official time of year for the what am going to different next year conversations. I am currently running a 2x6 wood fired rig but I am debating switching to an oil fired unit. My goal right now is to move to a 2x8 oil fired arch, and have a 4ft cross flow syrup pan built, and keep my flue pan and steamaway. I've been looking at both conventional and reverse fired arches. Does anyone have experience in the differences between the two? I have a neighbor with a 2x6 oil and the main problem for him is the high concentration of heat in the center of the pans. Will a reverse fired improve this? I am open to all manufacturers and home built designs if people have those. Thanks Jeff

Potters3
03-25-2020, 08:32 AM
I have seen the Leader reverse fires run. front pans seem to boil very even then with a front gun. Spreads the heat out better.

Mead Maple
03-27-2020, 09:30 PM
Ny,
I dont have experience with forward firing but do with rear. Overall im pretty happy with my setup. I know that I could probably use a little bit larger nozzle to gain more heat out of it. There are some fantastic advantages to oil like switch on/off, no need to fire ever X amount of time, and if it hits the fan, hit the switch. That said, I feel like using oil your far better off having an RO before the pans. When these things run for hours on end they definitely suck up the fuel when boiling raw sap. If you boil by yours lot like me, oil is the way to go. But boy it is a process to get everything dialed in and the flame doing what you need it to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

christopherh
03-27-2020, 10:36 PM
I have a 2x8 reverse fired rig with revolution pans. It boils great! Before I had an wood fired inferno arch and wondered how it would compare. I’m not disappointed at all.

nymapleguy607
03-30-2020, 07:06 AM
I have a 2x8 reverse fired rig with revolution pans. It boils great! Before I had an wood fired inferno arch and wondered how it would compare. I’m not disappointed at all.

Just for curiosity what is your GPH? I am assuming that you have a 6ft flue pan and steamaway, Do you know what nozzle you are running in the burner?
Thanks