PDA

View Full Version : oil fired

Fred Henderson
03-20-2020, 07:53 PM
I am looking for a few company names that sell oil fired evap. I would like to get a 2 x 4 or 2x 6.

Mead Maple
03-21-2020, 07:52 AM
Fred, I’ll take a real broad stab at this because I do not see any replies.

Most manufacturers all produce oil fired rigs for the most part. I know buying them new are not a cheap start up. Many guys have converted wood rigs to oil. Both fuels have there pluses and minuses. Have you done your research for what fuels would best suit you? Not trying to pursued you either way just want to cover all bases

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77maple
03-21-2020, 08:36 AM
i have a 2x6 oil fired from leader. works great. just an fyi, you'll really need to r.o your sap before boiling. prior to getting an r.o it took 9 gal of fuel oil to make 1 gal of syrup, not sustainable. now we get concentrate up to 8% and it takes less than 1 gal of fuel oil to make a gal of syrup.

Mead Maple
03-21-2020, 09:11 AM
77, great suggestion. While I do not have one currently that is absolutely a priority for this coming season. I think wood or oil, it is all a consumable that needs to have a dollar value placed on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kh7722
03-21-2020, 10:21 AM
I think all companies sell oil fired now. Definitely price oit as many as possible, its worth looking into. I saved a ton of money by looking and quoting. An R.O is definitely the way to go as well. As others have mentioned wood is not free either it all takes time and equipment, oil is a simple phone call away and a switch on and off. Just my 2cents
Kevin

wiam
03-21-2020, 05:22 PM
Pretty happy with my Thor pans. I built my own oil fired arch. Was way less money than having one built.

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-21-2020, 09:17 PM
The company that makes our oil fired 2x6 evaporator was bought by Leader, maybe Lapierre. We are around 5.5-6g oil per gallon of syrup and get 50gph out of our rig. Our trees are around 50:1 generally. Those are all averages obviously. We will have an RO in the next year or two as we add vacuum but at cheap oil prices I would not say it’s unsustainable. Convenience of oil is awesome, we love it and would never go back.

Pretty much all the big guys make them in 2x6 but like everything they are expensive. Finding a used arch or making one and buying some pans would save you a lot, maybe 50% off new. We lucked out and found our whole setup used for $3300 and it was in very good shape. That was with a homemade hood and the stack piping. So keep an eye out, you never know. CDL 2x6 oil comes with all the bells and whistles...hood, preheater, stack and was like $11,000 list price last I checked.

Willstrtr
03-23-2020, 08:52 AM
I bought a new CDL 2x6 deluxe for this season. I am very impressed with it. I did omit the hoods & preheater to try and keep cost down and can add them later if i want to. It runs 50 GPH. I put a CDL 250 dolly RO in front of it and they match up perfectly. I run it at 8%. It has a Beckett CF500 burner on it and burns about 3.58 GPH of oil. The only thing I would add when i bought is a Magnahelic gauge so i could tell the draft. to get a good boil in the front pan you need it real close to 0. I'm very glad I went with oil. I feel it lets me concentrate more in making syrup vs constantly dicking with the fire as I boil alone a lot.