PDA

View Full Version : sanitizing lines, pandemic edition

miboss
03-20-2020, 10:49 AM
So it seems there's a shortage/limit on hydrogen peroxide, due to the pandemic. I've always used peroxide to sanitize my lines. Any suggestions for alternatives?

DrTimPerkins
03-20-2020, 10:56 AM
Chlorine (bleach, unscented and without the other additives...the cheap stuff) works well (better than H2O2). Just be sure to rinse it thoroughly afterward to reduce critter damage.

miboss
03-20-2020, 11:36 AM
Chlorine (bleach, unscented and without the other additives...the cheap stuff) works well (better than H2O2). Just be sure to rinse it thoroughly afterward to reduce critter damage.

Thanks Dr Tim!

johnallin
03-20-2020, 04:09 PM
That's a very good question... Does StarSan work as a sanitizer on lines?

Maple River Sugar
03-25-2020, 06:54 PM
I've been trying to find a ratio for bleach to water, if someone could provide.

DrTimPerkins
03-25-2020, 07:25 PM
I've been trying to find a ratio for bleach to water, if someone could provide.

North American Maple Syrup Producers Manual, 2nd Edition.

https://holmes.osu.edu/sites/holmes/files/imce/Program_Pages/Maple/North%20American%20Maple%20Syrup%20Producers%20Man ual%20full%20pdf.pdf

Page 111.

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-25-2020, 07:35 PM

Anyone have an answer to John’s question? I’m going to try some of this for our IBC totes. Curious as well if it will work for lines.

Mead Maple
03-26-2020, 04:36 AM
Anyone have an answer to John’s question? I’m going to try some of this for our IBC totes. Curious as well if it will work for lines.

Yeah this is a great question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sugarmaker
03-26-2020, 07:51 AM
I choose to rinse my lines with just plain water again this season. Was going to use bleach solution but was afraid i would get it on the cloth truck seats. Yesterday when I was taking down some tubing I had as many cars pass me as on a normal non lock down day! Folks seem to be out and about. The water rinse has been pretty good over the years for my take down systems. Very little indication of mold in the lines after each tap is rinsed with low pressure water.
Regards,
Chris

SeanD
03-26-2020, 10:36 AM

The active ingredient in Star San is phosphoric acid and the page Doc referenced mentions that phosphoric acid is not recommended for tubing:

"Acid cleaners, such as phosphoric acid, are sold
under a variety of brand names as cleaners to
be used in the maple industry for the removal
of sugar and salt deposits from evaporators and
other similar equipment. While some producers are using these cleaners to clean tubing (at a
greater dilution rate than that used for evaporators) acid cleaners are not recommended for
use in cleaning tubing." (p. 111)

Right now the research out there shows calcium hypochlorite and sodium hypochlorite (bleach) are hard to beat. I'm in year two of using the calcium hypochlorite and I am seeing its benefits. I especially like that it's in powder form and easy to mix up what I need on the spot: 1/8 tsp per Liter.

DrTimPerkins
03-26-2020, 10:45 AM
It is sometimes NOT the case that certain sanitizers don't work, but are not recommended for a variety of reasons:
- isopropyl alcohol is not legal in the U.S.
- hydrogen peroxide is less effective than other things, and is often (especially in dairy sanitizer formulations) used in combination with other things that require rinsing
- small amounts of residue that would be negligible in some foods (beer, milk) get concentrated in syrup making
- the cost of the material is high, or the cost of use for application/ rinsing (labor) or lost sap (letting first run flow on the ground) negates any benefit you get from using them (it costs more to use than you recoup in added sap yield)
- we don't know enough about it to say

Unfortunately, as I've said before, we are unable to do large-scale field trials of every possible thing that has been suggested. We screened a wide bunch of things initially, and did surveys of what was most popular, and choose sanitization approaches based upon that. However, just because I don't answer questions about specific things doesn't mean I don't have opinions. What it sometimes means is that there is insufficient EVIDENCE to make an informed statement, so I choose not to answer. Sorry.

Lensman
03-30-2020, 04:15 PM
It is sometimes NOT the case that certain sanitizers don't work, but are not recommended for a variety of reasons:

- small amounts of residue that would be negligible in some foods (beer, milk) get concentrated in syrup making

Unfortunately, as I've said before, we are unable to do large-scale field trials of every possible thing that has been suggested. We screened a wide bunch of things initially, and did surveys of what was most popular, and choose sanitization approaches based upon that. However, just because I don't answer questions about specific things doesn't mean I don't have opinions. What it sometimes means is that there is insufficient EVIDENCE to make an informed statement, so I choose not to answer. Sorry.

I had assumed this was a reason for not using PBW for cleaning (I find PBW also needs lots of rinsing) and/or Star-San for sanitizing for maple sap where they will be concentrated during boiling. However, one of the main uses for Star-San in brewing beer is for sanitizing during bottling/kegging - it is supposed to be "food safe" so the bottles/kegs do not have to dry before filling with beer and it's not supposed to affect flavor. That was the process I used when I made my own beer and bottled it - but I have been afraid to do the same for maple syrup bottling. Does anyone use Star-San for sanitizing with maple syrup bottling? The Star-san is not being concentrated if it's used for final bottling, Or just heat the syrup and this sanitizing with Star-San is not necessary?

ddociam
04-01-2020, 05:56 PM
I have just today filled my lines with sodium hypochlorite. All the way out to the drop lines. We have them soaking. I wondered what’s best to do. We are leaving these lines up. If I let the bleach solution drain out and flush with water. Do you just flush it and plug it up. I hate to get mold in it.
What’s the best practice.
Jerry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VTNewbie
04-19-2020, 12:52 PM
I did the same thing except I used calcium hypochlorite, just filled all my 3/16 lines with calcium hypochlorite. Not sure if I should drain now and flush with water or just leave till fall. I was reading the article in the maple news that said he is draining in the fall.

https://www.themaplenews.com/story/sugarmaker-weighs-in-on-cleaning-3-16/260/?fbclid=IwAR0O4r8QNQAgCsYwADwL-Vatnit-wiVW3aa4h0zfLQV5PTKvJ3QRmSznNRU