PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if there is lead in a pan?

eye8astonie
12-17-2007, 08:18 AM
Hey all, we just picked up a used evaporator pan, and I'm really looking forward to using it... it should increase our boiling capacity tenfold!

My only concern is, I've heard people talk about lead in pans, I think from the solder?

My questions are:

*How do I know if there is lead in this pan?

*How much should I worry about it if there is lead?

*What could I do about it? How difficult is it to remove the lead solder, and then what? Do they make solder with no lead now? If so, is it easy enough for anyone to do it, or does it take some expertise?

Thanks for any help that anyone can give!

Duane

tuckermtn
12-17-2007, 09:24 AM
you can get a lead test kit at the local hardware store...pretty cheap- usually has a few test strips in it...directions are pretty simple- the ones I've used you lightly scuff the solder with sand paper, add a few drops of water, then put one of the pads against the wet/scuffed area... pad should change color if lead is present...

yes they do make solder without lead these days, and I think Leader started to switch over in the early/mid 1990's. There has been a lot of discussion on this site about ways to work with lead pans- look in the archives...

-tuckermtn

brookledge
12-18-2007, 08:27 PM
as tucker said the mid 90s was when most switched to lead free solder. It would not be feasable to remove the solder and replace it. So your stuck with it. However you can reduce the amount of lead that leaches into your syrup by not using strong cleaners or acids of any sorts including vinegar. You want to allow the sugar sand to coat the lead so that it is not exposed to the syrup.
Other things you can do is not let the sap sit in the pans between boils and keep the level low so that the sap moves through faster.
Keith

eye8astonie
12-19-2007, 06:52 AM
Great, thanks guys. I did look through the archives, and it seems like the concensus is that it's okay to use them, just use proper care like you mentioned.

Can't wait for the sap to start running!

Thanks,
Duane

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-19-2007, 04:32 PM
There are hundreds of these pans still in use every year and they make great syrup.

Brent
12-20-2007, 09:29 PM
here is a link an article at the University of Vermont dealing with lead in Maple Syrup the might help

http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/?Page=publications.html

eye8astonie
12-21-2007, 07:33 AM
Thanks guys! That helps a lot!

Sugarmaker
12-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Brent,
Good article.
Thanks,
CHris