PDA

View Full Version : Letting syrup set to let niter settle?

Jim Foster
03-19-2020, 11:25 AM
Does anyone here pour their finished syrup into a bucket or large container and let the syrup set a few days before syphoning off and reheating and run through a filter? My problem is I have very small batches of say maybe 4 pints at a shot. When I pour this little amount through my pre filters and Orlon filter, the syrup cools too quickly, won't go through and I'm stuck with either reheating the syrup and re pouring or losing an important amount in the filter. My idea is to pour the unfiltered syrup straight into a large vessel, let the sediment sit for a few days, reheat, and pour through the filters.

Jim

berkshires
03-19-2020, 12:02 PM
I take my syrup off the evaporator before it's quite done, and put it in containers to settle in the fridge for a few days. I dump the sludge, and then finish it and bottle using a coffee urn with my filters.

GO

SeanD
03-19-2020, 02:07 PM
Does anyone here pour their finished syrup into a bucket or large container and let the syrup set a few days before syphoning off and reheating and run through a filter? My problem is I have very small batches of say maybe 4 pints at a shot. When I pour this little amount through my pre filters and Orlon filter, the syrup cools too quickly, won't go through and I'm stuck with either reheating the syrup and re pouring or losing an important amount in the filter. My idea is to pour the unfiltered syrup straight into a large vessel, let the sediment sit for a few days, reheat, and pour through the filters.

Jim

That is a perfectly acceptable and efficient method to keep from losing syrup in the filtering process. Are you sugaring in southwest Nebraska? Is that a county in New York?

Dave Puhl
03-19-2020, 02:13 PM
you can leave syrup settle for as long as you want..pour off when it has settled out..combine the dreges and let that settle out also

fisheatingbagel
03-23-2020, 09:36 AM

Jim

I think this works well for smaller batches of syrup. It reduces the amount lost through traditional filtering. Just takes a little more time.

Bucket Head
03-23-2020, 08:56 PM
That's how my father and I did it years ago. We would let the syrup set for a quite a while and then pour off 98% of it, leaving the sugar sand behind.

Years ago, every sugar maker had a device called a settling tank for doing just that. Syrup would get drawn off or poured through cheesecloth, old fabric, etc. to catch the "big stuff" and then they would let the rest settle out.

Trapper2
03-31-2020, 08:44 AM
you can leave syrup settle for as long as you want..pour off when it has settled out..combine the dredges and let that settle out also

That's exactly what I do, If I don't have 5 gallons to finish off I wait until I do, Crazy amount of settlings. On the last finishing / bottling of the year i use half of the dredge that is clear, the rest goes for the bears.