PDA

View Full Version : Hot nuts

super sappy
12-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Wife and I just made a batch of these. warm nuts( we tried peanuts) in 200 degree oven wile syrup is cooking. Heat good flavor B to 42 degrees over the boiling point of water. Remove peanuts from oven and dump into bowl sprinkel over nuts, ground cayenne pepper 1/2 -1 tsp per pound of nuts. Let it sit on top of nuts then dump the hot syrup over and stir until it starts to dry out and stick to the nuts. (1-2 min.) Pour them onto a cookie sheet and let them cool. The sweet and hot seemed to make a pretty good combo. -Super sappy

Sugarmaker
12-16-2007, 11:49 AM
SS,
Made 6 lb + of peanuts nuts last night, I like the idea of adding the pepper I will try it. Thanks for the idea.:)

Chris

Lwood
12-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Food for thought... When the coated nuts finish cooling, Sift the whole thing like you would for Granulated Sugar. Now you have a nice mix of sugar and small pieces of nuts. Put it in a shaker. Perfect for shaking onto ice cream, Toast or whatever. My kids love it.

super sappy
12-17-2007, 06:20 AM
The sifter idea worked great. The hot nuts were eaten quickly. "The peanuts taste like regular maple nuts with an afterburner" said #1 son. On another note -LWood Have you seen our friend Nelson this winter? I saw him at the fair last summer. I have an old tin that I my wife found in a antique store that came from his farm. I want to get a picture of him 2007/8with it. He laughed when I told him about my plan.-super sappy

Lwood
12-17-2007, 04:27 PM
I went past his place the other day and he was out working. As usual he was grinning ear to ear and waving. He stays pretty busy so catching him is hard. He usally stops in a few times a year when I'm boiling. Always says that he sees the steam and has to stop in and that he should start sugaring again. I'm sure that he'd be up for pictures just have to catch him.

jemsklein
12-17-2007, 05:12 PM
mmm good i just finished some and they are very good