PDA

View Full Version : Sugarmakers Beans

Parker
12-16-2007, 06:55 AM
Let 2 pounds of "State of Maine, Jacobs Cattel Beans" soak in water overnight,,in the morning dump beans and water into crockpot,(wacth out for littel rocks-I have never found any but you have to be carful),add to crockpot 1 pound of bacon,,2 onions that are chopped up,,1 bulb (about 8 cloves) garlic chopped up,,1 pint of syrup,add a littel dry mustard and pepper,cook for 6-8 hours,,,,also works on top of woodstove in big pot-if stove is not too hot,,,,,,one bowl of these beans will make you bionic for around 6 hours

Al
12-16-2007, 07:36 AM
Boy, that sounds really good. Of course with the big snow storm coming I'm putting up a big pot of chilli. Hopefully I won't be shut in the whole time. The wife will have me sleeping in the sugarhouse.

Take care,
Al

Sugarmaker
12-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Humm,
The bionic part sounds kind of cool:)
The beans sound Awesome!

Chris

Dill
04-07-2008, 09:31 AM
A couple of changes I would do.
you have to bring the beans to boil before you put everything in to cook for the day, enough to split the skins. I add a bit of baking soda at this point, and be sure to skim off the foam. ( the baking soda takes off some of the "effect" of the beans)
Also I toss in a shot of ketchup to the mix. You can subsitute Splenda for some of the sugar but put in Molasses or dark dark syrup so it comes out the right color.
The cattle beans are my favorite also, I usually do a batch every 2 weeks for sunday night.

ontario guy
04-22-2008, 07:06 AM
a trick to see if you have soaked (boiled) long enough, take a spoon full of beans blow on them. If the skin flakes off they are ready for the oven if not keep boiling and try again.

Mark

thewholesapworks
03-19-2009, 12:01 PM
My beans are county fair prize winners
Let me add my thoughts.
While you are soaking them add a capful or 2 of white vinegar
Then boil then until you can blow on them and the skins split
After they are boiled remove from heat and then add 1 TSBP of baking soda
Do this in the sink because you will have a volcano,This is the same volcano that you will not have in your belly and bowels if you follow these simple instructions.

Acer
03-31-2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks Parker,

Beans were yummy.

Dean