PDA

View Full Version : Normal?

toquin
03-14-2020, 11:53 AM
10x3 evaporator, AUF. 12 " stack(new) 700 degrees average stack temp.

SeanD
03-14-2020, 12:18 PM
Yeah, it's as normal as mine. Back when I had a flat pan, I used to run some crazy stack temps to keep the whole pan boiling. I was SO bummed when I turned my beautiful stainless steel stack purple and rainbow streaks. That said, I'm over it now - mostly.

I would however, recommend orienting your stack upward. Your burn won't be as efficient with the stack in the horizontal position.

maple flats
03-14-2020, 07:12 PM
In my experience the only way to avoid that discoloration is to add air over fire (AOF), or at least that helped mine. Before AOF I discolored the stack but at 1200-1400F not 700. Now with AOF my high stack temps are under 950 and the stack still (after 8 seasons) looks like new SS. I submit that your stack temp was higher than 700, how do you get that temp?

ecolbeck
03-14-2020, 07:29 PM
I would however, recommend orienting your stack upward. Your burn won't be as efficient with the stack in the horizontal position.

Very true!!

Russell Lampron
03-15-2020, 05:30 AM
Are you asking about the soot/creosote on the sides of the stack? I don't think it's normal. The 700* stack temp is in the normal range but towards the lower end. If you can get more air under the fire it would help. I don't know how your blower is set up but if you can let in more air or increase the blower speed do it and see if you can get the stack temp up around 900.

What kind of wood are you burning and is it dry? I've never had it happen with my evaporator but when I burn green wood in my OWB it will do that, especially when I burn green pine.

Super Sapper
03-15-2020, 05:36 AM
If he can discoloring his stack like that he his getting plenty of draw no matter what direction. Some believe you need those temps to get it running right. I would also get a different thermometer as you are above 700 to do that to the stack.

toquin
03-15-2020, 07:46 AM
Brand new Auber stack thermometer.Sassafrass dried 1 year. Base stack turned color first boil. Im thinking S.S is not what it used to be. We turned stack straight up when the wind died down