PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Burnt pans

Jaredd91
03-13-2020, 07:09 PM
I got a nice burnt charcoal ring around all three of my pans on the last run and for the life of me i can clean it off. Ive heard vinegar and i tried and it did nothing i barely can scrape it off its burnt on so good. Any products that will disolve the char???

ecolbeck
03-13-2020, 07:11 PM
Did you heat and soak with vinegar? That may help.

BoerBoel
03-13-2020, 07:35 PM
Did you try a flattened copper pipe as a scrapper?

Jaredd91
03-15-2020, 02:07 AM
I ended up saying f*** it and took a die grinder with an abrasive pad i use for removing paint and rust off metal. I scratched the hell out of it but boy did it come off easy. I also might add that it didnt really take any metal with it just scratches it so hopefully it wont rust on me now but at least i wont be cooking the next batch in charcoal.

Mead Maple
03-15-2020, 05:27 AM
I ended up saying f*** it and took a die grinder with an abrasive pad i use for removing paint and rust off metal. I scratched the hell out of it but boy did it come off easy. I also might add that it didnt really take any metal with it just scratches it so hopefully it wont rust on me now but at least i wont be cooking the next batch in charcoal.

Desperate times call for desperate measures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maple flats
03-15-2020, 07:41 AM
Sorry to hear that, those scratches may prove to be a problem in the future, even if it doesn't rust, it will be where the scum line clings more and likely burn again.
That is one issue you will get if you have fire up around the sides of the pan you are boiling in. If you can make a way to have the fire on the whole bottom but not up the sides that won't happen. It would take getting perfect holes cut in a sturdy enough plate that the hotel pans only recess very slightly. Not an easy fix for sure.

Northbound1
03-15-2020, 08:30 AM
I burnt edges on my first run and came off easy with a diluted vinegar brought to a slight boil. However I heard that filling pan with sap at end of season and letting it spoil is the best cleaning option ever. I heard this when at a smoky lake demo day. Was impressed they suggest either vinegar or sap to clean when they could be profiting by selling a commercial cleaner.

emo
03-16-2020, 02:41 PM
My steam pans do that every year. I use the abrasive pad in the angle grinder to them over the summer and clean back up. Try not to push to hard. Been using the same pans for about 12 years.