PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody use a portable induction cooktop for boiling small batches

Oxford
03-11-2020, 12:39 PM
I am looking at ways to become more efficient with my back-yard boiling. I am a weekend boiler, usually trying to boil 20-60 gallons in a day. I've been using propane-fueled turkey fryers mostly, and the last couple boils I added a natural gas burner, too. They do a pretty good job of boiling the sap away, but the 15lb propane tanks are expensive and don't last that long before I need to exchange them. I was wonder if anybody has used the portable induction cooktops. If I used a 10-quart pan on one of those cooktops, would you expect I could boil at a rate comparable to the same pan on a 40,000 BTU propane burner?

Ed R
03-11-2020, 01:25 PM
I use one to finish near syrup. It works great for that. Real easy to control the boil. One year I boiled the contents of my 2x6 at the end of the year. It worked but it took a looong time.

Oxford
03-11-2020, 02:53 PM
Thanks. Do you think if I used a 10-quart pan on one of those cooktops that I could boil at a rate comparable to the same pan on a 40,000 BTU propane burner?

Ed R
03-11-2020, 03:18 PM
Yes on the highest setting. As you get closer to syrup you need to use defoamer or dial it down. I've used an even bigger turkey fryer type pot.

In da bush
03-11-2020, 03:20 PM
Thanks. Do you think if I used a 10-quart pan on one of those cooktops that I could boil at a rate comparable to the same pan on a 40,000 BTU propane burner?

I use one myself for my bottling process,I’m just a hobbyist. I don’t think an SS hotel pan will work, it needs to be an "induction" compatible vessel for the unit to work. I personally don’t think you’ll get the same boil rate given the size of the vessels required for each, not to mention the considerably less surface area with an induction burner.
PayPal me 20$ and I’ll run an hour test for you if you like to see what the evaporation rate is.

Swingpure
03-23-2022, 08:00 PM
I have been using my 3 induction elements for pre heating my sap, but I have also used it for finishing for the three batches.

Best of all I used it for bottling tonight, it was so simple to maintain the 180 - 190 temperature, once I reached it.