PDA

View Full Version : Persistent warm weather in MA :-(

Ntatar
03-11-2020, 05:03 AM
Sap run has all but stopped here in the MetroWest area just outside of Boston. No relief in sight. Looking like a really really really short season. if the weather gets cold at night again in a week, do you think the sap will still be good or is 7 to 10 days this time of the year too long and the trees will have started to convert their sugar?

Ravenseye
03-12-2020, 08:07 AM
Same problem here. I'm hopeful that we'll get another short run but I'm not counting on it. Things are getting strange and it seems the sap runs will be more north of us as time goes on.

DrTimPerkins
03-12-2020, 08:29 AM
It appears from the forecast that tomorrow might hit 60 (but the rain will help keep things cooler), and the rest of the next week isn't terrible, with at least one freeze (Sunday night into Monday morning) which will recharge the trees and allow for more sap flow.

The only real way to know is to wait and see.

red/one
03-12-2020, 08:33 AM
This is why I love this forum. I opened it up to ask the same question about warm weather and BOOM it was already in a thread.
Upstate NY weather is the same way, all but stopped flowing. Hope it recharges. I've only boiled 3 times. :cry:

eustis22
03-12-2020, 08:41 AM
I have one sap line that flowed (albeit slowly) thru the warm spell, here, north of Boston.

red dorakeen
03-12-2020, 01:28 PM
It has been a rediculously warm maple season. Most of my taps are healing up and (of course not flowing) no thanks to these prolonged warm spells.

Boiling sap in shorts and t-shirt weather just doesn't seem right.

berkshires
03-12-2020, 01:58 PM
It has been a rediculously warm maple season

All except for the two weeks in Feb right after I tapped, when it was super-cold! :mad:

GO

eagle lake sugar
03-12-2020, 03:45 PM
It's just the opposite here in northern Maine. The past few years have been bitterly cold and extremely snowy and we haven't gotten sap until April. This season is shaping up to be the same.

DrTimPerkins
03-12-2020, 04:04 PM
Maple syrup Goldilocks scenario

MA is too hot
ME is too cold
VT is just right :D

(just kidding folks...)

western mainer
03-12-2020, 05:11 PM
Here in Western Maine I'm having the best season in 10 years!
Brian

LMP Maple
03-12-2020, 07:07 PM
Here in Hudson I think we are about done. May get one more recharge as Dr. Tim said but I do not see it going past that, just too warm at night. Went down to 28 last night but not enough to make the trees feel it, they ran a little but not mI am at about 2/3 of where I was at last year and did have some real good early sap runs but things have really dried up here. I boiled for 5 days straight and have been off for 4 at this point. My dad has 1200 taps in Northern VT and they are just getting started. Cant change the weather so just rolling with it. No way I will make the last week for the maple open house with any sap that's for sure. Having a blast though and have made some really nice stuff.

eagle lake sugar
03-12-2020, 07:33 PM
Maple syrup Goldilocks scenario

MA is too hot
ME is too cold
VT is just right :D

(just kidding folks...)
Actually Dr. Tim, that's what I've been saying for years. There's a reason why Vermont is the maple capitol of the U.S., the conditions seem to be such that consistent good yields occur every year.

saphead
03-13-2020, 08:20 AM
Out here in the hills of W.Ma. it's been busy.Didn't boil yesterday but boiled for 8 days straight prior to yesterday,haven't had a stretch like that for a long,long time.
Will boil again today and looks like a good stretch of weather coming up.Hopefully the really hard freeze won't pop any lines apart Sun. night.

Ravenseye
03-13-2020, 08:37 AM
Hardly anything running now so we might be about done. The lack of snow this year was problematic too. Hope we get some spring rain. I've don't recall seeing the well that low at this time of the year. Oh well, there's always next year. On a good note, the bees are flying and they're finding pollen here and there so as long as we don't get a prolonged cold snap, they'll be OK.

Lensman
03-13-2020, 10:10 AM
Hardly anything running now so we might be about done. The lack of snow this year was problematic too. Hope we get some spring rain. I've don't recall seeing the well that low at this time of the year. Oh well, there's always next year. On a good note, the bees are flying and they're finding pollen here and there so as long as we don't get a prolonged cold snap, they'll be OK.

Only 125 miles north of you and we have snow on the ground and are barely getting into the 30s/40s during the day...low of 1F predicted for sunday night.

DrTimPerkins
03-13-2020, 10:22 AM
Only 125 miles north of you and we have snow on the ground and are barely getting into the 30s/40s during the day...low of 1F predicted for sunday night.

http://data.usanpn.org/vis-tool/#/ Choose the "How fast is it warming up this year where I live?" tool at the top right and enter your zip code.

Lensman
03-13-2020, 12:36 PM
http://data.usanpn.org/vis-tool/#/ Choose the "How fast is it warming up this year where I live?" tool at the top right and enter your zip code.

Wow very interesting, thanks for sharing. Not totally sure I am understanding the graphs but it looks like even up here (03584) we are currently above average and last year was below average. And I was excited to order a weather station to put on my shack and Wunderground this year, this is way more impressive!!