PDA

View Full Version : RO Bucket Flow Rate

marlmucker
03-10-2020, 09:20 AM
I first used my RO bucket Saturday and it seemed to work well. I followed the instructions when not using it for 24 hours, but it ended up being 48 before I used it again (today). I put a new filter in it. I've only produced 20 gallons of concentrate in 4 hours - 5 g/hr seems low.

I've verified the flow is 50/50 a few times by measuring the flow from the two hoses in cups. The system is running at approx 118psi.

What do others get from their system. Mine is a RO20.

jdircksen
03-10-2020, 10:30 AM
Do you have the kit with 4x 400gpd membranes? 25-30 gallons per hour of raw sap resulting in 15 gallons per hour is what is listed on the website, so your results do seem low.
what is the temperature of your sap? that plays a role in the throughput (I forget if cold or warm sap is slower). I usually process mine around 40*F.

double check that you connected everything correctly. https://www.therobucket.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/RB20Kit.pdf

littleTapper
03-10-2020, 10:53 AM
For 50/50, that is low. I've got the RB20 kit and have yet to see near 25 gph, but 10 is quite low. I'll get 16gph total with ~40 degree sap at 1/3 concentrate and 2/3 permeate ratio (yes, not advised). Time for a good membrane wash?

marlmucker
03-10-2020, 11:33 AM
Okay I’ll do a membrane cycle. Can’t believe I fouled them after one use. I knew this stuff was too complicated for me ;)

BoerBoel
03-10-2020, 12:31 PM
Reach out to Carl at sales@therobucket.com. He has been a great help with my RO bucket.

Northbound1
03-11-2020, 11:34 AM
I've got the rb20 kit and used for first time this weekend. I was getting 12 gallons per hour of concentrate the first day. Second day was closer to 15. Guessing warmer sap the second run helped but that's only a guess

30AcreWoods
03-11-2020, 12:33 PM
Here is my insight based on hands-on experience - hoping to offer some help:

My flow rates for the RO Bucket improve markedly as the temperature increases. I regularly concentrate up to 8% on a single pass because I start the night before and let it process overnight into the next day. That said, I routinely flush the system with permeate water (at least 10-gallons) after every 120-150 gallons of sap processed. This helps keep the membranes from fouling. In addition, I replace the 5-micron filter between every 150-200 gallons processed (ideally, when you wash the membranes). When I replace the filter, I first wash the system with 10-gallons of permeate water, then replace the filter, then do another 10-gallon permeate water wash. Make sure you open-up the concentrate needle valve wide when washing the membranes and monitor closely the water cloudiness and the volume coming off the unrestricted permeate line. When the water is clear and the permeate flow is a decent stream, the system is good to go back to running sap. I'm three years using the system this way (3-membranes and a low pressure pump feeding the high pressure pump), and my processing rates are still very good. I've had continued contact with Carl since my purchase, and he has been very helpful, and will likely weigh-in when he has a moment.

marlmucker
03-11-2020, 01:11 PM
Great info everyone. Thanks. I traded emails with Carl yesterday and he provided assistance as well. Things worked much better last night. It was drawing in 20l of sap in 13 minutes.