PDA

View Full Version : Second year run results

Jaredd91
03-09-2020, 08:25 AM
First year over the fire i did 32 gallons which yielded 7 pints. I orlon filtered from the evaporator because i got alot of ash and stuff in it while boiling by mistake. Because i didnt want to lose any precious syrup i decided not to filter again going from finishing pot to jars so i got like an inch of fluffy niter on the bottom but hey it tastes incredible. What do you guys think? I also dont get how to attach photos without them being upside down 21169 21170

For_the_kids
03-09-2020, 08:42 PM
I dont run though any orlon filters because I hate wasting the syrup but more so because I don't like taking the time. I take mine from the evap through a cotton cloth to get rid of the big stuff, then I let it sit for 7 days to settle out, after that I pour off the clear from the top 95%. I finish boil that and bottle it. There is always a thin layer on the bottom of my jars but not more then just enough to cover the bottom. I don't sell any syrup, its just for our family and give away to friends and family. The 5% with all the junk in it goes back into the hot sap from the next boil to be run through the next cotton filter and settle out again. This year I switched to a more sealed evaporator so I'm not getting any ash and stuff in my syrup, as a result it is clearer and lighter in color, but to be honest i like the taste of the other syrup better. :) Nothing better then taking the almost empy jar and rinsing it clean with milk and then having that with breakfast. :)