PDA

View Full Version : saddle manifold & end ring question

bison1973
12-14-2007, 06:58 PM
What do you guys think of the end line ring with the drop line fitting incorporated into it? It seems convienent. Have you used them?

Also, what size hole do you drill into the mainline for the saddle manifolds?

Thanks alot!

maplecrest
12-14-2007, 07:21 PM
i cut all my end rings out, i did not like them. if you use search and put in end it rings. there is alot of thoughts. pro and con. one thing that i did not like is some tubing does not fit, and the sap has to travel around the tree.the saddle drill size is 5/16

brookledge
12-14-2007, 07:26 PM
I have used the ones made by IPL that snap over the line and they work ok the nice thing about them is that they easily unsnap to take the lines down if necessary
The main line saddle have different sizes based on the manufactuer. So check with them but it should be either 5/16 or 21/64
Keith

Sugarmaker
12-14-2007, 07:39 PM
Bison,

I guess keep asking and trying. The concept is OK.
2007 I did not use end rings. I just treminated with a tee and a slip on cover, I did not go around the tree. I attached the tubing to the tree with a dry wall screw and it worked but not as well as I liked. Very hard to take up and sags with that method, and the take down was not as easy as I liked.
2008 Trying combinations of the CDL type, end rings, hook over fittings, and blind tee fittings to eliminate some of the problems. I am not giving up and spent some hours developing a system with fittings to improve my system.

Like Jeff: I did not like the fact that some sap may be stagnet in end portion of the loop. So for that problem I went with the blind tee. I designed, developed and tested a simple adjustable loop using two sliding end rings to take up the sags. and will use hook over fittings to allow easy take down of the tubing. One more hurdle will be keeping the tubing to the tote as tight as possible to avoid sags.

Not sure of your set up hope this helps.

Chris

bison1973
12-14-2007, 07:56 PM
With the fitting I'm refering to there would be no dead area where sap would just sit. It would just have to go all the way around the tree though because the fitting for the drop on that tree is part of the end ring. Has anyone used this specific type?

mountainvan
12-14-2007, 09:37 PM
If you use the end ring with the green t that is closed on one side you do not get a stagnant part. I use them and have not had a problem.

royalmaple
12-15-2007, 07:52 AM
I do the same as van and there is no sap sitting anywere if you use the 1-way green t's. The sap can't flow toward the end line ring(unless you got it flipped around backwards). I use the end line rings and the 1 way t's and seems to be working fine, you can tighten up your latterals pretty easily with them as well which is a nice feature.

So basically on all your last tree drops you need to make up your last tree drop with the 1 way t's. Then in between use regular drops on the other trees towards the mainline.

In a bag of 100 you get right and left 1 way's so you can use different ones depending on if you go one way or the other around the last tree to make your end loop.

gearpump
12-15-2007, 02:20 PM
Those 1-way tees had me going for a while. I didn't know they had left and rights at first. I must have cut out 20 or so before I noticed. I think the manuf. should have made lefts green and rights red. Using those with the end line ring is the way go. It's easy to snug up the whole line by sliding the ring at the end. Just be sure to put the drop before the ring, not after, because you run out of sliding room.

Marty

ennismaple
12-15-2007, 03:37 PM
With the fitting I'm refering to there would be no dead area where sap would just sit. It would just have to go all the way around the tree though because the fitting for the drop on that tree is part of the end ring. Has anyone used this specific type?

We've got hundreds of the end line hooks with the cup in our bush and we love them. The lines are easy to put out and there are no dead spots at the head tree. I recommend them if you're on vacuum.

Sugarmaker
12-16-2007, 12:14 PM
Couple of observations:
The green one way blind tee has a tapered protrusion of plastic about 1 1/4 inch long and is supposed to be to plug the drop into. two items,
1. Not all plastic spiles fit and or stay on the protrusion. I like the cup better so I just add a cup Tee in the dead section of the line and use that to plug in the tap when not in use.
2. The dealer I use gets only left had blind green tees. That's what he likes. I make a left hand into a right hand by just nipping off the protrusion and then it can go against the tree.

Chris