PDA

View Full Version : Is my pan still usable????

jimmol
03-08-2020, 03:44 PM
The temp said 210 and the hygrometer went to the bottom of the Murphy Cup so I figured it was safe to leave for a bit. I walked into my house and when I came back out the center flow looked like caramel bubbling up and both the feed and draw off thermometers showed 225. I flooded the pan with water and after cleaning up I noticed a dip in my center lane.

The pictures show there is some separation between the floor and the divider. It seems to let a small amount of liquid across. It is about 8 inches before the turn to the center. Can it still be used?

Thanks

Ravenseye
03-08-2020, 03:55 PM
Probably. I think the quality of the build is in question. Anyone else?

Ed R
03-08-2020, 04:19 PM
I would use it but watch it like a hawk. The pan might act differently than before. Sweet might back up at that low spot. I don't think that would happen, did you have any charring?

jimmol
03-08-2020, 05:08 PM
Yes I did. Most of it came off by soaking it in a vinegar solution. I had to scrub a bit off with a stiff brush and some stubborn spots I used a plastic buddy knife.

Russell Lampron
03-08-2020, 06:05 PM
There will be some sugar/sweet passage under the partition where it's warped. It may not even be noticeable when you're boiling. After the season you should probably find someone that can weld the seam under the partition.

jimmol
03-10-2020, 04:13 AM
Thanks for the feedback.
I gave it a go and after it got boiling I could not tell any difference in using it as the feed/center side.
Good news is some burnt sap that was under the lip came loose so when "repairs" are made it will metal on metal.
Thanks again.

buckeye gold
03-10-2020, 06:13 AM
I imagine that gap will fill up with nitre and probably burn enough to seal it. You won't notice any change in syrup quality.

mol1jb
03-11-2020, 03:58 PM
I have a couple minor warps (1/8 in) in my syrup pan as it was a used set. It still runs fine.

Mead Maple
03-11-2020, 06:19 PM
Use it. But I would find a local guy and just have him put pressure on it and re-tig it. It is a quick cheap fix and couple of spot welds would have it pretty well back to normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twofer
03-13-2020, 06:40 PM
I would use it as is and find someone to fix it after the season. Heck, it might even draw a little bit better when drawing off the side that it is leaking towards. ;)