PDA

View Full Version : Uncontrollable bubbles

MiMappleMan
03-07-2020, 11:10 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200308/e9bf883469c2a762e3d7e9360dc14337.jpg
As you can see, on the far left side of my pan I have crazy amounts of bubbling that no amount of defoamer will settle. I thought this was from a build up of niter and junk, because my first couple boils of the year did not have this. But after a thorough cleaning of the pan, it persist. I can’t think of having this in years past, or earlier in the season. Is this normal, or how can I control it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chickenman
03-08-2020, 05:29 AM
That's syrup or near syrup. normal.

bigschuss
03-08-2020, 05:41 AM

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Time to draw off at that point it seems.

Mead Maple
03-08-2020, 05:45 AM

Yup. Draw enough off to get an accurate reading with a hydrometer, but that indicates higher sugar content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruce L
03-08-2020, 07:29 AM
Near syrup,as long as it’s not going over the divider to mix. Also,see if you can suspend your thermometer somehow,looks like it is resting on the bottom of the pan and will give you an inaccurate reading

maple flats
03-08-2020, 07:00 PM
Also, that type of thermometer is not the best for syrup production. Does your pan have a thermometer fitting? If yes, break down and buy an evaporator thermometer, if not, you can do like I did for my thermometer on my pre-heater. I used a T with the straight thru holding the thermometer and the side fitting has the valve to draw off. That will be better but still not ideal.

30AcreWoods
03-08-2020, 08:27 PM
Yup. That sure looks like syrup. I had that happen today as well. Like you, I started with a clean pan, but once I shut down, there was niter stuck down pretty good. I've come to learn that for me, those bubbles are: 1) an indication I'm at syrup (confirmed with a syrup thermometer as Dave recommended), and 2) niter is starting to build up. Also, it can get heavy quickly if you don't start to draw.