PDA

View Full Version : Sap guzzler question

Johnjenner
03-06-2020, 04:35 PM
I just purchased a sap Guzzler pump today. I listened to a gentleman doing a demonstration on them at the Michigan maple syrup weekend in February. He stated that the discharge should be below the top of the tank i.e. there should be fluid in the line pumping up to the tank. I was reading the instructions and it says there should not be i.e. the discharge hose should above the top of the tank. Torn on what to do? What is everybody else doing out there? Your help is greatly appreciated.

MapleCamp
03-06-2020, 06:44 PM
I have a double disk bosworth sap guzzler and i have the discharge going to the top, I move it from tank to tank as they fill. Putting in new diaphragms right now. I have about 300 taps , had it for 3 years , only problems have been replacing the diaphraghms which I knew about when I purchased . Im going to just put new ones in each season rather than on a good flow day , good luck.

Father & Son
03-07-2020, 01:26 AM
I have a single diaphragm and set it right on top of my collection tank (cage tank). That would put it at the same level.

Mille705
03-07-2020, 08:47 PM
So I am on my first year with one. My guzzler sits on a stand and pumps sap up about a foot to the discharge point. I am sitting in a hole and not sure if it is better to suck up that foot or push it up.

Bucket Head
03-07-2020, 08:57 PM
I watched a demonstration of this style pump and it was recommended that the discharge hose be put slightly above the discharge port. That way the diaphragm always had liquid in it/against it, which helps it's operation.