PDA

View Full Version : Releaser problems

sapman
03-06-2020, 10:06 AM
I've got a double vertical Bernard, 3000 tap~ model. When the float comes up on the right side, it will start to expose the hole to the diaphragm hose on that center rocker assembly. Then it will suck air and stall out. Manifold fills with sap, then eventually it trips, usually. I think this is what caused sap to enter the moisture trap, even the pump a little, early in my season.

Anybody else have this happen ever? Love to find a solution.

Thanks,
Tim

tcross
03-06-2020, 10:26 AM
i'm not familiar with your releaser... i have a single mechanical, so perhaps its similar. i had an issue with my float rod comming up and not dumping everytime... filling the top manifold reservoir. what i found was one of the tubes that join the vacuum manifold and the top tank in the releaser, was loose. it was worn out from using over the years and air was getting in. so i cut the tube back, put a hair of food grade caulking around the hole and the problem went away. my other thought would be you may have a leaky gasket/o ring not equalizing the pressure quick enough to trip the dump cycle? not real sure but those are some issues I've dealt with when my releaser wasn't dumping properly.

Jeff E
03-06-2020, 11:51 AM
I agree. Check those connector tubes for leaks, or liquid in them. I had a releaser stall when about a 1" column of liquid was in the line. Doesn't take much to make it fail.

DrTimPerkins
03-06-2020, 12:17 PM
Another possibility is the rod. Take super-fine sandpaper or SS wool to it (you don't want to scratch it, just get off the sugar), then a very light application of food-grade grease, then gently wipe the grease off with a clean cloth (there'll be enough lubricant residue left after wiping).

We found that sending mechanical releasers back to the dealer/manufacturer every 2-3 years for cleaning, o-ring/seal replacement and checking out led to far fewer issues and far higher reliability.

WMF
03-06-2020, 05:09 PM
I have two double vertical Bernards. Both have had issues of which you speak and the cause was the white machined bushings in the clear
cover that the float rods run through.
The bushings are press fit and after years will move which alters the stop position of the pivot arm and subsequently the timing of the hole which gets vacuum and the hole which vents air so the vacuum actuator can cycle.
If you look close you can see these bushings are what the pivot arm uses as a stop and is what the oring on the float rods seal against.
I pinned my bushings in place and never had issues afterwards.

sapman
03-06-2020, 10:15 PM
[QUOTE=WMF;381103
I pinned my bushings in place and never had issues afterwards.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate the suggestions, and will check all these things out. WMF, how did you go about pinning those bushings?
Thanks,
Tim

WMF
03-06-2020, 11:10 PM
I drilled and tapped a 6-32 screw into the thick clear plastic bar that the bushings go through. Used a screw just long enough to pin bushing,
do this at your own risk as these plastic parts are not easy to find quickly if you damage something.
Remembered another problem which caused this as well. The tubing that connects to the rocker must be very flexible or it will pull the rocker
away from the mating surface and cause a small leak and low vacuum to the cylinder.
I found sap tubing was too stiff and ordered some silicone tubing from McMaster that worked better.

JoeJ
03-07-2020, 05:58 AM
In my opinion, the best solution for that Brenard releaser is to get rid of it and buy a Lapierere releaser. The mechanics of the Bernard are way too complicated compared to the Lapierre. I have 4 of the Lapierres and they operate year after year with no issues.
I had 3 Bernard verticals my first year on vacuum and had continuous problems with all 3 of them. Got rid of them the second season and went to all Lapierre.
Joe

blissville maples
03-07-2020, 06:10 AM
I have used one for 3 years with no issues from what I can see about them make sure all three hoses coming into the port by The rocker are clear. also make sure your vaccum input hose isn't preventing it from moving and it slides from side to side well. Sometimes with a really low flow at end of day they can get caught in the middle but not often. I will say the lapierre vertical double are alot simpler of an idea

blissville maples
03-07-2020, 06:12 AM
Another possibility is the rod. Take super-fine sandpaper or SS wool to it (you don't want to scratch it, just get off the sugar), then a very light application of food-grade grease, then gently wipe the grease off with a clean cloth (there'll be enough lubricant residue left after wiping).

We found that sending mechanical releasers back to the dealer/manufacturer every 2-3 years for cleaning, o-ring/seal replacement and checking out led to far fewer issues and far higher reliability.

Never seen sugar build up on a rod to hang it up!! Also wouldn't waste the money sending back for cleaning!! It's not a very complicated piece of equipment!!

Some people on here will cost you alot of money if you listen to them!!

sapman
03-07-2020, 06:03 PM
[QUOTE=WMF;381150]I drilled and tapped a 6-32 screw into the thick clear plastic bar that the bushings go through. Used a screw just long enough to pin bushing,
do this at your own risk as these plastic parts are not easy to find quickly if you damage something.

I know what you're saying. Got replacement parts for it at LaPierre a couple years ago. Limited availability, and some parts not at all.

sapman
03-07-2020, 06:06 PM
In my opinion, the best solution for that Brenard releaser is to get rid of it and buy a Lapierere releaser. The mechanics of the Bernard are way too complicated compared to the Lapierre. I have 4 of the Lapierres and they operate year after year with no issues.
I had 3 Bernard verticals my first year on vacuum and had continuous problems with all 3 of them. Got rid of them the second season and went to all Lapierre.
Joe

Coincidentally, this releaser has a LaPierre sticker on it, but is a bernard. Bought in 08 so maybe before they made their own?

sapman
03-07-2020, 06:14 PM
If I go to a new LaPierre someday, is a double always the way to go, or are singles as, or more, reliable? Only 200 taps on system.

tcross
03-09-2020, 05:47 AM
with only 200 taps, i'd say a single is fine. i have a single Lapierre... says it's good for up to 500 taps. i'm at 330 right now pulling 28-27" ... i am not going to put more than 400 on it... doesn't seem like it'll keep up.

redneck mapler
10-22-2020, 06:48 PM
Question regarding the maintenance of releasors, do you all keep them outside or take them in the off season. I am new to the vacuum and releasor idea. I have a roof built over my current ones but was thinking of setting them up with disconnects so I could take inside during off season. Just wondering what everyone else does. thanks Rick

TapTapTap
10-22-2020, 07:43 PM
My biggest releaser challenges are due to freezing and in one case seemed to have bent the float rod.

redneck mapler
02-25-2021, 04:47 PM
Can I ask what kind of vacuum pump you are using. I am trying to use old dairy pumps but seem like I am missing something, I have 2 different bushes with 250-300 taps each. Can't seem to get any vacuum. They are pulling but nothing like what you guys are getting. Just curious and looking for help. Both sugar bushes have releasors. Thanks Rick

blissville maples
03-01-2021, 07:15 AM
Deadhead the pump to the sure it is producing vacuum and if it is producing vacuum you have got leaks to find it can be difficult to find leaks with Little to no no vacuum. If you can isolate have the tabs with a valve that may help. Start close of the pump and work your way out. It can't be very frustrating starting a zero because like I said its hard to find a
The leaks because a lot of times you won't necessarily here them with such low vacuum that's why I tried to isolate parts of the Sugarbush so I can check on of them at a time. With low vacuum is easier to find leaks on a hundred taps then it is 500 so by isolating if that's an option will help

DrTimPerkins
03-01-2021, 08:41 AM
Coincidentally, this releaser has a LaPierre sticker on it, but is a bernard. Bought in 08 so maybe before they made their own?

Lapierre carries both the Lapierre and Bernard brands of releasers.