PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Lake Hybrid on a Leader Half Pint

washxc
03-05-2020, 03:28 PM
Hello All,

I purchased a used Leader Half Pint that came with a divided flat pan and a Smoky Lake Hybrid pan with drop flues. Last year was my first time moving up from buffet trays to an evaporator so I used the flat pan with pretty good success. This year I doubled my taps and used the Smoky Lake pan, thinking that my gph would be significantly higher. As it turns out, I'm struggling to surpass the efficiency of my flat pan (4 gph or so). I can't seem to get the front two divided flat sections of the pan to really boil. I've tried playing with the draft, adding a fan at the intake, and haven't gotten much out of it.

I called Smoky Lake and they said this is a common problem with using the Leader arch with a smoky lake pan. They suggested that their Coursair Arch with all the fixings could increase gph to around 22. But that would also cost in the neighborhood of $2400.

So... Here's my two questions for the experts...

1.) Anyone solve the Smoky Lake hybrid pan on a leader half pint arch conundrum and get the advertised 10-15 gph?

2.) What would you do if you were me? I don't need the flat pan and the hybrid pan. I could sell the Smoky Lake and perhaps buy a bucket RO, and maybe come out ahead. Or I could look at ponying up the Coursair arch money, though I don't think that's likely.

Thanks for your thoughts!

buckeye gold
03-05-2020, 05:24 PM
Anyone solve the Smoky Lake hybrid pan on a leader half pint arch conundrum and get the advertised 10-15 gph?

Yup I solved it.....How much is the answer worth to you:lol:

On the serious side. I bought the full pint hybrid pan about 7 years ago. My first season was frustrating as I had the same problem, but I had Air Over fire and I did get 7-9 GPH with dry wood. Before the next season I modified the leader arch by taking off the front and extending the arch 8"with 1/16 steel plate and I insulated the entire arch. It all cost me less than $100.00. I had a buddy do the welding for some syrup. I had to extend the grates as well and I made my air blow from both sides. So now it has fire under the entire pan and it rips in all channels. If I'm lazy and don't keep on my fire I get 10-12 GPH, but if I have a big run and I am vigilant with my firing I can sustain 14-15 GPH and if I get it really tuned in I have hit 16. Here is a picture after my modifications. I have since remodeled the shack and have a new head tank and finish area, so just look past the mess. I actually have a video of it boiling on my phone if you want to see that I can upload it.