PDA

View Full Version : Spring Peepers Signal The End of Sugaring Season

Oxford
03-05-2020, 11:32 AM
Is anybody familiar with the tiny frogs we call Spring Peepers here in Southwest Ohio? I've noticed the last couple of years that the time I start hearing them making their loud peeping noises coincides with the time the maple sugaring comes to an end for me. I just started hearing them yesterday. I also noticed several mockingbirds returning from their winter homes. I'm wondering if these creatures know better than I do when it's time to pull the taps.

Sugarmaker
03-05-2020, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the warning! We know there coming to a spot near us too! I am preparing!:)
Keep Boiling!
Regards,
Chris

buckeye gold
03-05-2020, 12:43 PM
I am SE of you a couple hours and I pulled the plug last Monday. I have already pulled my taps, filled my lines with Calcium Hypochloride flushed, drained and capped. All my tanks are sanitized and stored. the pan is soaking in the last sap for the next six weeks and then I'll clean it, but first I'm hoping to pull some Maple vinegar off it. I had my best production year since I started back up 12 years ago. I made just a few ounces shy of 20 gallon. Sugar averaged 1.51 % and I made more dark than usual. I heard the first peepers two days ago.

fisheatingbagel
03-05-2020, 12:44 PM
Yes, that seems to be case here as well. We have a pond close by our house, so it becomes obvious when they start peeping. Our season pretty much ended a week ago, but haven't heard them yet. I think we'll need a few days of warmer weather for them to start.

30AcreWoods
03-05-2020, 01:36 PM
Peepers. We love 'em! Got a pond right outside the bedroom window and it sure is a lovely sign of spring when they start their chorus - even with ice still in the water. Of course, then it means the end of sugaring season...but usually by that point, I'm ready to get some sleep from all the late nights boiling. Sap just began running in earnest here, so we are into the thick of it right now.

maple flats
03-05-2020, 04:05 PM
Here I'm just getting started. My first boil was on Monday. Didn't boil today, not enough but I will have enough by tomorrow. Had a light freeze this morning and might in the morning again. Likely no sap flow Saturday but then should have 3-4 days with no freeze. No peepers here yet. The low spots are still iced over and today the trees didn't wake up until between 1-2 P.M.

Ed R
03-05-2020, 06:04 PM
I heard peepers Tuesday night and I'm in southern mi. Still ice on the ponds,mud everywhere ,no frost. My dad always said 2 weeks after frogs peeping and your done. It may be a short season or maybe this will be an anomoly.

pete3046
03-06-2020, 09:41 AM
I heard peepers Tuesday night and I'm in southern mi. Still ice on the ponds,mud everywhere ,no frost. My dad always said 2 weeks after frogs peeping and your done. It may be a short season or maybe this will be an anomoly.

I agree with your Dad. My barometer is this; the peepers come out, they go in for two weeks, and then they come out again and it’s spring! I live in NE CT and the peppers have not been out, I would hear them in a minute if they were out!
Pete

bigschuss
03-06-2020, 07:53 PM
Love those peepers. I haven't even tapped yet. Crazy how things are wrapping up in Ohio and I am yet to even tap my trees here in Mass.