PDA

View Full Version : season ending after Saturday night?

Mike Van
03-05-2020, 03:19 AM
https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USCT0102:1:US No frost showing on this 10 day after Sat. night - Tapped 5 weeks now, my trees won't last through a warm spell like that -

Woodsrover
03-05-2020, 07:11 AM
I think you're exactly right. Planning on Sunday being the last day of boiling for me.
That said, all my tanks are full and I'll be pumping tonight and boiling from Friday night. Have 750 gallons now and more coming through the weekend. I'll probably pull the tubes out of the thanks and start pulling taps next week.

DrTimPerkins
03-05-2020, 07:29 AM
Forecasts beyond about 4-5 days are not particularly great -- those beyond 7 days are often not good at all. Although you have some high temp days, you also have a good amount of clouds/rain, which will help. A slight drop in the temps would make a huge difference so I wouldn't pull the plug quite yet. Doesn't hurt to wait and see what you get.

Woodsrover
03-06-2020, 05:09 AM
Brought 670 gallons up to the milk tank last night. Ran the RO for a while just to make room. Sap was 44 degrees, 1.5% sugar and getting cloudy. Floated a sleeve of ice in the tank. I hate this weather.

I'll boil tonight and tomorrow with this and whatever sap I collect over the next couple days but I'll pull the lines from the tanks on Sunday and wash them out. Unless we get some unexpected spell of cold weather I don't see this season coming back to life. Should end up with close to 40 gallons for the year....That's enough for me anyway.

DaveB
03-06-2020, 03:45 PM
Forecasts beyond about 4-5 days are not particularly great -- those beyond 7 days are often not good at all. Although you have some high temp days, you also have a good amount of clouds/rain, which will help. A slight drop in the temps would make a huge difference so I wouldn't pull the plug quite yet. Doesn't hurt to wait and see what you get.

Exactly.

I tapped on 2/15 so I still have several weeks to go if the weather holds. I am thinking that next weekend might be my last but like the good Dr. said, we'll see what the weather brings at that point.

Sugar Bear
03-06-2020, 05:17 PM
Exactly.

I tapped on 2/15 so I still have several weeks to go if the weather holds. I am thinking that next weekend might be my last but like the good Dr. said, we'll see what the weather brings at that point.

I tapped on 2/16 ( resisted temptation ) and have processed 400 gallons of sap so far. Last year I tapped on Feb 1 and went to March 25th and processed 500 gallons of sap on the same trees.

So I feel ahead of the game at least time wise and feel good about my 2/16 decision.

Another good reason not to count the season out after this weekend is that while it has been above average temp wise, we have not not really had any of the "knockout" warmth ( above 58 degrees ) that we usually have. And we have only had a couple of those days.

Although I must admit after this weekend it does not look good. However their was no frost forecast by 2 or 3 degrees for our location last night and what do you know a bit of crystals ( ice ) this AM. Sap started to run fairly well while the sun was out this AM but backed off with cloud cover in the afternoon.

The sap really wants to run this year at the slightest opportunity and even days when the night did NOT fall below 32 the night before.

Almost like the trees can sense their "best opportunity"

We will see.