PDA

View Full Version : Are SS Swagelok Fittings Food Safe?

Conococheague
03-04-2020, 07:20 AM
I don't know if this question belongs here or in a more general forum, but here's my question: Are stainless steel Swagelok fittings and valves considered food safe for use in maple syrup processing? I'm a hobbyist making less than 10 gallons of syrup a year to give away to family and friends. I will never sell a drop of syrup no matter how I expand my volume. One of the favorite parts of this hobby for me is designing and making my own equipment (I'm a mechanical engineer at a nuclear reactor by trade). We use an incredible amount of Swagelok valves and fittings for vacuum and pressure applications and our engineering techs attend training every year on the use and application of Swagelok products. I routinely use them in my designs at work. They're expensive but they rarely fail. I'm in the process of building my own vacuum filtering system. If my design is correct, I don't expect the syrup to contact any part of the vacuum inlet to the vacuum vessel or the vacuum ballast tank. I do, however, plan to plumb a drain valve into the bottom of the vacuum vessel and would like to use Swagelok compression fittings and valve for this. I will find another product if I can't determine whether Swagelok components are food-safe. Thanks for any info you can provide on this. Thanks.

Conococheague

maple flats
03-04-2020, 07:46 AM
I just quickly looked at the Swagelok site, it shows the industries that it is used in, there is no food industry. Just based on that my thought is find something. If they were food grade some faction in the food industry would be using them. It's possible the issue might be in the seals or simply that the formal certification has not been done or approved yet.
I would not chance it (yet). It is also possible the SS has recycled content.

Conococheague
03-05-2020, 05:25 AM
Thanks Maple Flats. I agree. Looking around the internet, it seems like there a lot of components available through home beer brewing supply houses. They appear to be identical to the Swagelok stuff and I would assume that if they're okay to use for brewing beer, they'd be fine for maple syrup. Take care,

Conococheague

maple flats
03-05-2020, 09:35 AM
Yes, they will be food grade.

michiganphil
03-05-2020, 10:17 AM
The fittings for brewing are likely Swagelok, Tylock, or Parker. They are not made specially for brewing.
I work for an industrial piping contractor, and we regularly work in food and beverage facilities. We see Swagelok spec'd on many projects.

As long as it is lead-free brass or stainless steel, and the bulkhead seal is food safe (we usually see teflon gaskets for this application), you will be fine.

TheNamelessPoet
03-05-2020, 10:44 AM
yes they are (the stainless ones)

I routinely sell them to a food and beverage plant.

Conococheague
03-05-2020, 10:52 AM
Excellent. Thanks all. There are so many choices with Swagelok and they are readily available. They are expensive, but worth it in my opinion.