PDA

View Full Version : Steam stack question

Bucket Head
12-12-2007, 08:06 PM
How are the steam stack's mounted, or fastened, to the top of the hood?

Soon I will need to purchase a stack and was wondering what I will have to do to get it mounted.

Thank's,
Steve

Sugarmaker
12-12-2007, 08:13 PM
BH,
When I had my steam pipes formed ( rolled with the lock) I had them roll a short piece 6 or 8 inches long. I cut about 1 inch slits and bent these outward and slipped the short ring through the hole in the hood, then fastened the bent flaps to the hood with pop rivets or screws. This extension became the base for the stack to set on.

Chris

danno
12-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Buckethead - I had the the steam pipe at home (I used old duct that I was no longer using from an old furnace). To connect to my homemade steam hood I just cut a circle in the top of the hood and bought a duct connecter (don't know the official name) from the local HVAC distributor. The connector is about 4" high and slides through the hole in the hood from the inside. There is a lip on it so it does not simply slip through the cover - with perforated end so it can slide your first piece of stack onto the connector. Just use self tap sheet metal screws to hold everything together.

I also reinforced the steam cover where the pipe sits to hold the weight of the pipe.

Good luck!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-12-2007, 08:59 PM
I have an aprox a 2" crimp riveted to the top of my steam hood and my stack just sits on top of it in 4' sections this way it can be removed if neccessary and I see no need to rivet it together as it is not going to jump like the smokestack.

Russell Lampron
12-13-2007, 05:17 AM
My hood was factory manufactured and it has about a 2' section of pipe with a damper in it that is fastened to the top like Chris's. I have 2 5 foot sections that sit on top of that to get it into the cupola.

Russ