PDA

View Full Version : Buddy syrup vs commercial grade?

jdircksen
03-03-2020, 11:58 AM
Is buddy syrup the same thing as commercial grade? I collected some sap yesterday and now that it is closer to syrup, it has a popcorn smell. Apparently that means the trees have budded, so should I toss this syrup or will it turn into syrup that is good for baking? It seems pretty light in color right now.

maple flats
03-03-2020, 08:04 PM
Buddy syrup smells like you are boiling dirty socks, not popcorn. It should be fine.

VT_K9
03-03-2020, 09:35 PM
I'd keep going until you find the odor offensive. Then you need to decide if it is worth continuing as the cost to end result is not always worth it at this point.

Mike

Ed R
03-04-2020, 07:10 AM
What does the syrup taste like?

jdircksen
03-04-2020, 10:53 AM
I haven't finished the syrup yet but so far it tastes sweet, no maple flavor. Since there is a chance it's edible, hopefully I can finish the batch tonight.

Ed R
03-04-2020, 11:59 AM
You could save this syrup and blend it with later syrup that has more maple flavor.

maple flats
03-04-2020, 04:54 PM
Is it real lite color? That might not have much taste. As suggested above, if that's the case, blend it with a better flavored batch. It takes very little darker syrup to darken and add flavor to real light grade syrup.

blissville maples
03-04-2020, 08:06 PM
If the sap is buddy the syrup will have a very astringent feel on the tongue,kind of leave a weird "rough feeling" on your tongue like a coating. Maybe "bitey" would be another way to describe it.

If your steam smells like rotten socks, puke, or wet dog then your sap has SPOILED before you could process it. This usually makes a very light color and foam is hard to keep down.

There is a difference between these two scenarios, take it from someone who produces many many many gallons a year and has had the experience of seeing and tasting both.

My personal rule of thumb is I take a sip, if I go back for more in a couple minutes then it's good!!