PDA

View Full Version : storing syrup before bottling

fruitguy
03-02-2020, 10:29 AM
During the week I will pull off syrup, but usually run out of day.

Can I store syrup in our refrigerator and on the weekend reheat to 180, filter and bottle?

Thanks,
James

tcross
03-02-2020, 10:47 AM
yes you can. i store it in my garage (stays plenty cool) in 5 gal containers and can it when i have the time.

Big_Eddy
03-02-2020, 12:38 PM
During the week I will pull off syrup, but usually run out of day.

Can I store syrup in our refrigerator and on the weekend reheat to 180, filter and bottle?

Thanks,
James
If it is full density syrup and cool weather, no concerns keeping it a week or so before finishing.
If it is only "approaching syrup", then highly recommended that you refrigerate or freeze before final finishing

fisheatingbagel
03-03-2020, 08:18 AM
I do the same. Store in garage fridge in 5 gallon pails. I honestly don't know how you all boil, finish, filter and bottle all at the same time. Boiling is stressful enough! The only drawback is then I have a bunch of syrup sitting in the fridge waiting to be filtered and bottled, the least fun of the process ;-(

ChaskaSap
03-03-2020, 08:27 AM
This is my first year and have been boiling off and on (weather permitting) for the last couple of weeks. I'm in the Minneapolis area and the temps have been favorable to keep in a snowbank, but that's about to change this weekend with highs 50's and lows in the 40's. I have about 2-3 gallons just needing to finish, filter and bottle. For the novice, I appreciate the tip to refrigerate...

DuncanFTGC/SS
03-22-2020, 09:06 AM
This year I'm filling milk jugs and storing almost syrup in my fridge. Makes sense to me to filter and bottle a set amount each time. Except for the last bottling lol

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

ennismaple
03-22-2020, 11:03 AM
I do the same. Store in garage fridge in 5 gallon pails. I honestly don't know how you all boil, finish, filter and bottle all at the same time. Boiling is stressful enough! The only drawback is then I have a bunch of syrup sitting in the fridge waiting to be filtered and bottled, the least fun of the process ;-( Try filtering and bottling 30+ gallons an hour! It is stressful but I'd much rather bottle as much as I can while it's still hot and not have to re-heat. With our setup, I put the first 25 gallons into the water jacketed re-heater to be packaged. I need someone to help me bottle and label because you will screw something up if you fire, run the RO and run the filter press and try to bottle. By the time the first 25 gallons is packaged I've filled 1, sometimes 2 drums and I can pump a bunch more syrup into the re-heater to package more.

If you can filter coming off the evaporator then you only need to re-heat to 180 F and bottle - you shouldn't need to filter again if you can keep it below 190 F.