PDA

View Full Version : New Oil Conversion 2x6 Smokey Lake Raised Flue

TomorrowRiverMapler
03-01-2020, 08:43 PM
I just finished a test boil with the oil conversion unit on my 2x6 SL raised flue with Corsair arch and the flue pan is about as violent as I have seen but the syrup pan has a pretty tame boil nothing like the flue pan and it doesn't look like the boil when I used wood. I know most of the boiling happens in the flue pan but just wasn't sure if an oil burner has less of an effect on the syrup pan and more on the flue for boiling than wood. My flue temp was about 950 degrees and the oil conversion was supplied by Smokey Lake with a 4 gpm nozzle. Thanks for any thoughts.

Brian
03-02-2020, 05:37 AM
What is the stack temp? that should be around 600-650 deg. check pump pressure too.

BAP
03-02-2020, 05:37 AM
Did you change how the evaporator was bricked? Most oil fired evaporators have a fire wall the burner shoots against instead of a ramp to help force the heat straight up to the front pans instead of up the ramp and all to the flue pans. The force of the burner will send most of the heat to the back of the evaporator if you don’t have a way of holding it in the front longer before it works it way back. It’s different from wood where most of the heat goes straight up to the front pan and you have to make it go back to the rear pan too.

TomorrowRiverMapler
03-03-2020, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the response. There were no recommended changes to the combustion chamber like adding a fire wall but it certainly makes sense what you're saying. I ran the burner with the pans off and a good portion of the flame is hitting the ramp. The nozzle is a 4gpm and 70 degree. Unfortunately I'll have to live with what I have as the season started early here in Wisconsin. My first cook is tomorrow.