PDA

View Full Version : Tapping Northern MN 2020

Jukenjer
03-01-2020, 05:44 AM
Set out with snowshoes three weeks ago to pack snow and Mark trees following our well designed maps from last year which were laid out with a compass and range finder. Yesterday , 2/28 we were able to walk on the paths running the 11 lines of 3/16 with approx 250 taps. Today we plan on tapping as the forecast looks favorable for an earlier start to the flow for us. Early snow and lots of it reduced the frost in the ground which should play an important role in the flow.
Good luck and be safe!!!

GramaCindy
03-01-2020, 08:07 AM
To you as well Jukenjer. I am having a hard time believing that it's actually time to tap, but the forecast looks amazing. I'm in NW WI north of Hayward and it looks like it's go time. Good luck and Happy Sapping

BigPine
03-03-2020, 10:13 PM
NW Corner of Mille Lacs Lake - put in 61 taps the past 2 days, many were going today. Putting drop lines and buckets on these tomorrow and then back to tapping. Cloudy and windy (the trees were swaying away), several were giving good we will see if it keeps on, but the weekend looks like Summer! ps: about 18" of snow, but seems like the crusty top layers have somewhat insulated the ground ??!? it's almost like a cavity under these hard layers …. snowshoes are the order of the day!

Chris St
03-05-2020, 11:02 AM
Did a couple test taps on the 3rd and they were starting to flow yesterday. Put in 25 taps this morning and putting in another 25 tomorrow. I'm about 24 miles southwest of Duluth. Good luck everyone and happy syruping!!

Redfinn1
03-10-2020, 09:21 PM
Started to flow today in Duluth... Happy sapping to all!!!

Schnep's
03-13-2020, 07:20 AM
Had a couple good days(90 and 80 gallons each day) up to about 300 gallons of sap on 100 taps. Will be cooking all weekend. On the south end of Mille lacs

BigPine
03-25-2020, 07:52 PM
NW Corner of Mille Lacs Lake - 99 taps on drop lines to buckets. Some are still not giving. Collected 130g before the cold spell and 100 more in the past couple days. Our average is about 10g per tap so we hopefully have a ways to go. Still plenty of snow, could go for a few more weeks (which is typical) if it doesn't warm up to fast.
Using the 'R/O Bucket' for the first time. This thing could be the cat's meow for my size operation.
Things should break loose this weekend!

billschi
03-26-2020, 11:19 PM
The trees just started running up near Brimson. Only 40 gallons on 250 trees. The forecast the next 10 days looks really good.

BigPine
04-09-2020, 06:04 PM
NW Corner of Mille Lacs - 99 taps 580 gallons so far - Nearly reached our 30 year average of 6 -7 gallons per tap. It is still running …. and the next few days look about the same. Hoping for another 200 gallons.

Jukenjer
04-19-2020, 06:06 AM
Dusting of snow today!!! Fairly decent flow still on with signs of maple buds swelling. We are up to 26 gallons of finished syrup for the year not expecting to beat our last year record of 52. Looks like another week of flow based on temps then pulling the taps. Overall not a bad year, just not as fun as many of my family are in the 60’ and practicing social distancing by staying home. Our dad, whom is 85, has been manning the Bush and I go up to do the boil downs keeping my distance the best he knows how to 😂