PDA

View Full Version : Driving Taps to deep?

Sap Raider
03-01-2020, 05:31 AM
I was tapping a woods yesterday and occurred to me that there may be a consequence to driving taps to far into the tree. I drill approximately 1.5 to 2" and the use a rubber faced hammer to installed the tap until it makes the thud noise and then stop. I have a relative that drives then to the point that it is hard to get the removal toll on them to remove. I use CDL signature spouts. Can over driving a spout actually reduce sap flow? I do know it can split the tree if over driven.

maple flats
03-01-2020, 07:46 AM
It is possible, especially on a taphole 1.5" deep. 1.5-2" is right, but the tap should not be driven in too hard. Either use a tapping hammer (your rubber faced is likely ok, unless it is too heavy) or I child's hammer or I've always used the flat side jaw on a pair of 7" lineman's pliers. I started that back when I had side ties on my tubing made of 14 ga wire. Once I started using 1" chain link plastic strap for side ties I continued using those pliers. The main thing is whatever you use to set the tap, just use your wrist to swing or maybe barely move your forearm, but never use your whole arm to set the tap and listen carefully for the sound to change.

DrTimPerkins
03-01-2020, 08:05 AM
https://www.themaplenews.com/story/the-goldilocks-touch-/266/

Driving spouts in too deeply will certainly affect sap yields negatively.

TheNamelessPoet
03-01-2020, 09:30 AM
https://www.themaplenews.com/story/the-goldilocks-touch-/266/

Driving spouts in too deeply will certainly affect sap yields negatively.Great read Dr Ty!

wobbletop
03-01-2020, 03:21 PM
Is a symptom of going too deep a leaky spout? Or is it not far enough?

I use 5/16 spouts for sap bags, and when driving them, I don't really hear a lot of difference in sound. I try to drive them just enough so that I think they will hold up a full sap bag. I use these types of spouts:
https://webstore.cdlinc.ca/en/aluminum-spout-516-hookless

I can post a picture of some of my leaky spouts.

Sap Raider
03-01-2020, 05:14 PM
Great read DR. Tim. I had no idea that it would make that much difference. I figured something was up when I put knew drops and taps in the woods last year and it din't produce what I had expected. I didn't tap it, but I did two other woods. The production difference with the ones I did was dramatic. We do use a hammer that has a rubber side and a plastic side. I think I will has to show this to my son and let him know what he did wrong. Thanks for the help.

iby
03-02-2020, 08:24 AM
I was wondering about this very topic as well... good info..

not trying to hijack the thread, but another question I have is... after a freeze, I find that I have to go out and re-set all the taps by tapping them back in... if I don't, I have alot of leaks... is this normal, or am I just not setting them deep enough from the start... I can't imagine people with thousands of taps walking the woods every day checking every tap like I do ...

maple flats
03-02-2020, 08:39 AM
Either get an official tapping hammer or use a pair of 7" lineman's pliers on the flat jaw side. You will hear a sound change using either. Your rubber/plastic tip hammer is dulling the sound.

ChaskaSap
03-04-2020, 11:00 AM
Great read Dr Ty!

That is a great read. It's my first year and very helpful

DrTimPerkins
03-04-2020, 12:19 PM
That is a great read. It's my first year and very helpful

Lots more information on a variety of topics available at: https://mapleresearch.org/

maple flats
03-04-2020, 04:49 PM
Is a symptom of going too deep a leaky spout? Or is it not far enough?

I can post a picture of some of my leaky spouts.

Leaking taps can be a sign of both, too loose or too deep can both leak. When you say they leak, describe it please, because a little seepage is common and that will normally "fix itself" in a few days.
Yes, post a picture.

wobbletop
03-05-2020, 03:46 PM
Leaking taps can be a sign of both, too loose or too deep can both leak. When you say they leak, describe it please, because a little seepage is common and that will normally "fix itself" in a few days.
Yes, post a picture.

Thanks for replying,
I just went out to take a picture of some leaky taps and it looks like they have stopped leaking. I guess as mentioned above they tend to seal after a few days (there was a cold spell as well).