PDA

View Full Version : Blue 5 Gallon Jugs

wnybassman
02-29-2020, 04:05 PM
Has anybody ever had a problem with the handle on these jugs? That connection seems so weak, especially with hot syrup. The one I filled yesterday I didn't dare pick it up by the handle, I put on gloves and carried it by the bottom.

Walling's Maple Syrup
02-29-2020, 04:08 PM
I know what you mean. They seem fragile. Filled 1000's of them though and never had one break...

SeanD
02-29-2020, 04:30 PM
Agreed. I also tend to carry it in my arms for the extra benefit of it being easier on my back.

Russell Lampron
02-29-2020, 05:03 PM
I've only had one break in the 20 years that I've been using them. That one was a Bascom's recycle that had probably been used 100 times before I got it.

Bucket Head
02-29-2020, 09:20 PM
Yeah, they seem like they don't have the capacity to hold all that weight but they somehow do. I've never had one of them break. But, like you, I wonder a little bit each time I grab one and hoist it up.

I like the one's that have the handle molded as part of the container. Stronger and easier on the hands! Unfortunately, they don't make that style anymore according to the supplier I got them from way back when.

Steve

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-29-2020, 10:34 PM
They do seem flimsy but never broke one either and we handle some pretty old ones.

Sugarmaker
03-01-2020, 07:35 AM
FYI,
I am old and weak and I prefer the 2.5 gallon molded handle clear jugs. These are not hot pack and seal type. I store in freezer.
https://i.imgur.com/XRCEKYJ.jpg
Sounds like the blue ones work good for a long time too. Make syrup long enough any thing can and will happen.
Keep boiling!
Regards,
Chris

wnybassman
03-01-2020, 07:40 AM
Well, that's all good news. I won't be so tentative picking one up by the handle. lol

tgormley358
03-06-2020, 10:15 AM
Different question about these blue 5-gal jugs for storing syrup. It’s my first year using them. They’re brand new from Bascoms. I was surprised that there is a plastic-y sort or odor in them. Not awful but not something I’d want my syrup to smell like. Is there a risk of affecting syrup taste? I rinsed it out good and dried it, but it still has the same “new” Clean plastic odor. I took a chance as I couldn’t imagine Bascom selling something that would degrade syrup.

I’m glad to read this posting because I had the same concern about the handles.

tcross
03-06-2020, 10:19 AM
i've never had any issue with them crating an off-taste. i wash them out with hot water 2 times, dry them and fill. they do have a slight plastic order to them...

Bucket Head
03-06-2020, 09:48 PM
That slight, new plastic smell is what you want to smell. The guy's are right- the syrup won't take that on. I've got some jugs that I've used for years and they still have that "plasticky" smell to them. That's the sign, or smell, of a properly washed out container. Just be sure you rinse/flush your jugs out a few times with only hot water every time you empty them. If you don't rinse well, they will have a fermentation smell to them in short order, which never goes away. They are junk at that point.

Steve

tgormley358
03-09-2020, 05:34 AM
Thanks for the reassurances about the plastic odor. I rinsed mine wel before first use.

Tom

tgormley358
03-12-2020, 01:57 PM
First time using the 5-gal jugs this year. I have 3, one for each Golden Del, Amber rich, Dark robust. Once I open a jug to make a few bottles, I assume I then need to keep it refrigerated from then on to avoid contamination? Hadn’t thought of this. How do you all keep it cold? Buy a new fridge?

SeanD
03-12-2020, 02:52 PM
First time using the 5-gal jugs this year. I have 3, one for each Golden Del, Amber rich, Dark robust. Once I open a jug to make a few bottles, I assume I then need to keep it refrigerated from then on to avoid contamination? Hadn’t thought of this. How do you all keep it cold? Buy a new fridge?

Chest freezer and plan ahead. Before I hot packed I relied on the chest freezer for all my bulk storage. With combinations of 4 and 5-gallon buckets I could fit 35-40 gallons in there. That said, bottling 5 gallons at once goes very quickly. I'm assuming you have a big enough bottler if you hot packed the blue jugs. It's only 20 quarts or some combination of quarts, pints, etc. You are better off bottling the whole container at once.

tgormley358
03-12-2020, 08:11 PM
Chest freezer and plan ahead. Before I hot packed I relied on the chest freezer for all my bulk storage. With combinations of 4 and 5-gallon buckets I could fit 35-40 gallons in there. That said, bottling 5 gallons at once goes very quickly. I'm assuming you have a big enough bottler if you hot packed the blue jugs. It's only 20 quarts or some combination of quarts, pints, etc. You are better off bottling the whole container at once.

Thanks Woodvill