PDA

View Full Version : 3/16 sap question

Minnesota Tapper
02-29-2020, 02:38 AM
My second year on 14 runs of 3/16 gravity vac. After season last year I drained lines and then I started at the highest tap filling it with peroxide until I saw it run out of the next lowest tap. Then I capped the tap I was putting peroxide in which held peroxide in the line. Then id move to the next lowest tap and repeat until I was to the bottom and the entire line was full of peroxide. This year my lines are like new. Clean and look perfect. BUT...last year when I installed my lines I put an end hook on , wrapped line around the tree and hooked it back to itself and then went to the next tree. When I cut in the highest, first drop I cut it in a little from the end hook. So there is tubing that wraps around the tree, above the highest drop tee fitting. That 2 or 3 feet of tubing has gross sap from last year in it. Black spots etc. How can I get that out or do I even need to? I dont see how the first run will pull that sap out being as the end of the line is sealed with an end hook. Our season starts probably tomorrow and am worried it will ruin the sap. I dont mind letting the lines run on the ground awhile to flush but like I said I don't see how that section around the top tree would clean out being that its sealed on top. Anyone had this issue and dealt with it before? Thanks in advance

Mead Maple
02-29-2020, 03:25 AM
You could add an end of line T which would allow for a vac gauge but would essentially separate that small end of tree loop from the system itself. If you choose not to run a gauge than simply heat up the line to the melting point and pinch it closed to be sure right or simply cap it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minnesota Tapper
02-29-2020, 03:30 AM
That would work. I assume for right now I need to get the old sap out of that section by physically removing the tubing and replacing it though right?

buckeye gold
02-29-2020, 06:05 AM
I would cut it out. I stopped doing what your doing after having the same thing happen. Now I run a wire through enough tubing to go around the tree and then hook my end line hook over that. I am then draining directly from the last tap.

Tom.Edgecomb
02-29-2020, 08:20 AM
We use dead end tees. One end of the tee is plugged so nothing gets from the last tap to the end hook. We figured this out after the first year and changed all the top trees tees. We had the same issue of it looking gross around the tree and didn’t want that getting into the rest of our lines.

Minnesota Tapper
03-01-2020, 04:50 AM
Thanks everyone. I found enough unused end of line hooks to he able to cut off the old ones,shot water in and flushed that gross sap down the line. I'll order different hooks so I dont have this problem next year.soon as my lines clean out I'll be collecting.

Mead Maple
03-03-2020, 03:26 AM
Great! Certain learning curve for all of us that I can definitely appreciate especially a first year 3/16 user like me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peteinvermont
03-06-2020, 11:12 AM
Using hollow core rope on 3/16 was a game changer for me.

maple flats
03-06-2020, 08:03 PM
Yes, either hollow braid 1/4" rope, string the tubing thru the hollow center for 6-8" then make the tubing come out thru the braid. (to do that I unscrew a ball point pen and use the point, I push the tubing into the point, push the tubing til in enough then turn the rope so the point exits) It will be like a Chinese finger trap, then tie the end of the rope around the tree. Alternatively most companies offer a end line hook with an elbow. The lateral connects opposite the hook and the elbow faces up, with a drop on it. The third option is mentioned above, buy tees with one thru barb closed off, leaving a section on that with no sap, then a hook on the end to attach to the lateral going around the tree. There are likely other options too.