PDA

View Full Version : Scoop, skimmer?

Shirefisher
02-28-2020, 03:31 PM
What do y'all use that doesn't cost 100'$ of $$$$? I wouldn't have bothered but as we test fired the new evaporator this week my father in law had a gleam in his eye when he mentioned how much a scoop and skimmer would make sugarin more retro for him and he mentioned even though we have a guage to read for when the syrup is ready.... he loves his sheeting test.

Ed R
02-28-2020, 03:47 PM
A small stainless stock pot with a long stainless handle will work for a scoup/dipper. I had a skimmer made for me by an Amish sheet metal guy. I also have some older hand me downs that I don't use any more since they are lead soldered.

johnallin
02-28-2020, 04:44 PM
What do y'all use that doesn't cost 100'$ of $$$$? I wouldn't have bothered but as we test fired the new evaporator this week my father in law had a gleam in his eye when he mentioned how much a scoop and skimmer would make sugarin more retro for him and he mentioned even though we have a guage to read for when the syrup is ready.... he loves his sheeting test.

ShireFisher...send me a PM. I have a stainless scoop I purchased new from Leader...I've never used it. I'll send it to you no charge, I'm also a father-in-law and your post is a grand gesture.

Sugarmaker
02-28-2020, 09:01 PM
Yes get the scoop for him and make his day! I still use mine to show folks you dont need all this fancy stuff to make syrup. Dad called it aproning! When it just begins to start aproning your about 1 degree from syrup!
Regards,
Chris

Shirefisher
02-29-2020, 05:09 AM
ShireFisher...send me a PM. I have a stainless scoop I purchased new from Leader...I've never used it. I'll send it to you no charge, I'm also a father-in-law and your post is a grand gesture.
10-4 Sir. Pm sent.

johnallin
02-29-2020, 08:16 PM
Received Shirefisher... could not figure out how to post a pic in the PM, so here it is. If you can use it, it's yours for the asking. Glad to be able to help a young sugar maker and his family.

Shirefisher
03-08-2020, 08:32 PM
Mr. Johnallin!

Thank you a million times! The scoop turns out is an integral part of our lil' operation. It was used A LOT today. I'm not sure I realized how important it was to our Old fashioned set up! We only drew off a half of pint but Tuesday I bet it will be minimum a gallon now that we have sweetened up the pans.
21157I

Mead Maple
03-09-2020, 03:27 AM
Mr. Johnallin!

Thank you a million times! The scoop turns out is an integral part of our lil' operation. It was used A LOT today. I'm not sure I realized how important it was to our Old fashioned set up! We only drew off a half of pint but Tuesday I bet it will be minimum a gallon now that we have sweetened up the pans.
21157I

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russell Lampron
03-09-2020, 04:57 AM
I have a scoop like that and the only time that it gets used is when my 96 year old dad comes over. He likes to scoop a little of the near syrup from the front pan, swish it around a couple of times and drink it. He always did that when he made syrup.

johnallin
03-09-2020, 07:21 AM
Mr. Johnallin!

21157I

Not really a big thing, it has been sitting for years, You are very welcome...enjoy.

Shirefisher
03-09-2020, 07:45 AM
Not really a big thing, it has been sitting for years, You are very welcome...enjoy.

Oh but it was a big thing. I was going to start our first boil without a scoop because I thought we would be good without one. Glad we had one on hand, just as we attempted to draw off our first batch of syrup we couldn't get it to draw and we quickly realized we were running too thin and had to quickly scoop into the back syrup pan before we scorched. So it proved itself worthy pretty quick! And it seems like my father in law had it in his hands all night!