PDA

View Full Version : Selling unfilterd maple syrup

tuolumne
02-28-2020, 06:12 AM
I would like a discussion about the legality of selling unfiltered syrup - not about the principle.

Background: When I say "unfiltered" this does not mean we are trying to save work - it is more complicated than just sending it through the filter press with the rest. We still filter the syrup through a fine sieve. The goal is to remove any foreign matter such as bugs or bits of debris while allowing all of the sugar sand to pass through to the final product. The goal also is to do this during early during the boil, to avoid the harder niter that can build up later on. Ultimately, I would like to see a fully settled quart jar with 1/2-3/4" of sugar sand on the bottom, of fine consistency. When shaken up this gives the maple syrup a distinct texture, but with no unpleasant crunchiness.

As described above, this is what we have used in the home kitchen for years and made available to some friends and family who are interested in the mineral benefits.

Is this sellable to a broader market? I ask because our customers have been asking for it. Does eliminating the "Pure Vermont Maple Syrup" label or "Grade A" satisfy?

With bulk prices remaining low, this is one way that sugarmakers can meet market demand and sell direct to interested customers.

Thanks for your knowledgeable input.

In da bush
02-28-2020, 07:08 AM
I can’t personally add anything one way or another but I think it’s interesting that people are actually requesting it. I didn’t realize the niter had any actual nutritional value.

ecolbeck
02-28-2020, 07:17 AM
Is there documentation of the mineral benefits?

DrTimPerkins
02-28-2020, 07:40 AM
Both Vermont and Federal regulations require pure maple syrup to be "clear", meaning free of visible niter or other impurities. To sell labeled other than "pure maple syrup" you'd need to chat with the regulatory folks to get an opinion/decision. To my knowledge, there is no published info showing that niter has benefits of any kind. Too much can certain cause digestive upset and diarrhea. If you have any leaded equipment in your processing stream (from buckets to storage containers and everything in between), there can a good amount of lead in the niter (typically FAR above what is in the syrup).

Sugarmaker
02-28-2020, 10:52 AM
Interesting topic,
I think you would want to do some good research as Dr p suggests. Seems like getting your filtered and non filtered syrup tested for lead would be step one.
Must be some information on niter being good or bad for you. My guess is that many folks befor us have probably got it right that you dont want much or any of the niter in the syrup. If it was ok then it would have been done for years. Now for your own comsumption. I guess you can do what ever you want.
Good luck with your syrup.
We are all looking for ways to improve syrup marketing. I see your spin on the potential benifits of the non filtered version. Just need to make sure folks dont get sick from it too. You know its going to settle to the bottom of the jar anyway. so they would need to shake it up each time they used it. Are you going to put it in glass so they can see the difference between clear and cloudy syrup?
Just some thoughts.
Regards,
Chris

ennismaple
02-28-2020, 01:05 PM
I'm quite sure it is illegal in Canada to sell unfiltered maple syrup. Do I taste it unfiltered - yes. Would I sell it knowing there will be sediment in the bottom - never.

maple flats
02-28-2020, 02:27 PM
It's illegal both federally and according to New York State. I would not risk it, large fines and possibly even confiscation of your syrup is possible, maybe not likely on a first offense but possible.

Big_Eddy
02-28-2020, 06:20 PM
I'm quite sure it is illegal in Canada to sell unfiltered maple syrup. Do I taste it unfiltered - yes. Would I sell it knowing there will be sediment in the bottom - never.

Ontario for sure.
Ontario Grade A
Is uniform in colour and free from any cloudiness or turbidity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WestfordSugarworks
02-29-2020, 04:09 PM
I've always heard that you need to filter it and meet a few other specs, including obviously the correct density of 66.9 brix, in order to sell. I'd look into the legality with experts. However I very much doubt that the state or any other agency would hunt you down for doing this. It would be one thing if you are trying to competitively market it and tout the superiority of your unfiltered product compared to other producers. But if you are just selling to established customers and there isn't much publicity then I'd bet you'll be okay.

My personal input would be to make clear to your buyers that this product is not the same as filtered syrup. Last thing we need as an industry is for people to turn away from maple because they are turned off from the unfliltered syrup from one producer.

hansel
03-01-2020, 06:16 PM
Is letting it settle for a couple weeks and pouring off the clear an acceptable filtering technique for selling? I don't currently sell any but was thinking possibly a few gallons in the future. I like filtering this way as i batch boil, it is super easy and always clear.

DrTimPerkins
03-01-2020, 06:23 PM
The standard is that syrup is clear and free of cloudiness. How that is achieved is not important (as long as it doesn’t affect the bulk syrup properties).