PDA

View Full Version : Should an arch be fully fire bricked?

Polish Wizard
02-26-2020, 11:32 AM
Sorry for the sideways picture. Never did learn how to correct that.

Built in 2015 my heavily modified file cabinet arch with 3 full-size buffet pans is roughly a 20x36 evaporator, complete with AUF that works really great --- especially with the wood I burn.
But now it is in need of a lot of repair and I'm debating to fix or entirely buy new.

After doing a lot of on-line looking I see there are a lot more evaporator manufacturers than I ever realized, and especially when you add in the companies that I assume are Amish with little or no on-line presence.
Smoky Lake offers their Star Cat, Dauntless, and maybe Corsair; and MF Mason has two each 2x3 and 2x4 hobby systems.
Since I already spent $550 for the existing 6" triple-wall flue system I'm limiting myself to units compatible with my existing flue. Not sure if the Corsair fits or not. All the others I mentioned should be okay.
Other companies require too large flue for my size rig.
My syrup is only given to friends and family -- so no recouping the cost of equipment.

Based on reviews it looks like both Mason and Smoky Lake have great products, but different concepts about insulation.
Smoky Lake indicates fire brick absorbs a lot of heat during your initial fire start-up, and takes longer to release that heat when you want to stop.
Their video shows using a minimal number of brick only where wood loading could damage their ceramic blanket. This is more obvious in the two smaller units, and not as much in the Corsair video.

Mason's website offers info showing I would need about 85 splits to fully brick a smaller arch. Based on Tractor Supply Company on-line prices that would add about $300 to the cost of a Mason arch.

The two smaller Smoky Lake arches don't seem to have AUF available. If that is true, perhaps Smoky Lake anticipates lower heat than AUF would cause --- thus not needing as much fire brick.

Since my method is very sloppy my current system suffers from mice removing exposed ceramic blanket. I assume they took a liking to the spilt maple the ceramic absorbed.
Hopefully a new system won't let me be as sloppy and the mice won't be attracted to the ceramic blanket if I opt for a Smoky Lake system. Or maybe go with the full brick style?

What are your thoughts about full or partial fire brick insulation systems?
From my steel mill days around furnaces + firefighter training using dedicated structural burn buildings (vs acquired structures) I always thought the more brick the better -- but it did feel like I was the pumpernickel in a bread oven during training.
These maple companies obviously know a lot more than I do.

littleTapper
02-26-2020, 11:38 AM
FWIW, I only bricked (over blanket) the firebox of the arch I built and used 2" of ceramic blanket in the rest. I did that for a few reasons; Shutdown would be quicker and safer due to less residual heat than in a pile of bricks. Mobility; mine's on wheels and I boil outdoors. Cheaper.

The firebox is basically the only place things can get beat up; the blanket holds up fine in the rest of the arch. I don't see much value in bricking an entire arch. I'm sure others have differing experiences though.

maple flats
02-26-2020, 03:19 PM
Any place the wood can be against the insulation you should have firebrick. Tractor Supply is a lot more expensive than a masonry supply yard (the ones that professional masons go to. Often that will be a larger concrete redi mix plant.
When I bricked my arch I first priced at the maple dealers, then I went to a cement yard, it cost about 1/3 there.

Pdiamond
02-26-2020, 07:26 PM
I'll agree with Flats on this in that the firebox area requires the firebrick and ceramic blanket insulation. The remainder can be covered with 2" ceramic blanket. This is how my arch is set up and works well.

Polish Wizard
02-27-2020, 07:36 AM
When my engineer friend and I first built this make-shift arch I learned of a building / contractor supply company a bit south of me where the full-size brick were very affordable -- but that was in 2015 and their stacks of brick were outside and frozen together.
I only used TSC as a ballpark guess, and may not be a good representation if I'm trying to closely compare the two different arch manufacturer's final costs.
I need to spend a bit more computer time trying to remember the name and location before I waste gas and travel time going in search of a place buried along the tracks and off the normal road.

I sent an e-mail to Smoky Lake seeking info and apparently asked the wrong question about the flue size on their Corsair units compared to the existing triple wall 6" I already have installed.
They responded with something I believe refers to the size of their pan flues.
I think I should have specifically said "smoke stack".

That said --- anyone know the size "smoke stack" Smoky Lake's smaller Corsair units use? Over 6" and I can't use it.

Pdiamond
02-27-2020, 07:21 PM
I am not 100% on this but I believe the Starcat evaporator and the Dauntless evaporator both use six inch stacks.

woodguyrob
02-28-2020, 07:36 PM
Yes. My Dauntless is six inch.