PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Syrup Exploding in Pan!

2018 newbie
02-26-2020, 10:39 AM
I've had a problem when finishing my syrup on the stove in my home. When it is boiling it seems to gather steam and then suddenly "explode" all over the stove and sometimes me! It's not boiling over, but it seems to come from the bottom of the pan and spew almost finished syrup everywhere. I thought my pan was a good heavy bottom variety but maybe not good enough. I use a calphalon stainless steal 6 quart pan. (Very small scale!). Is there a pan that you'd recommend or am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help!

red/one
02-26-2020, 10:53 AM
As a hobbyist I have had the same issues. Keep a close eye on it and remove the pan every time it starts to "explode" or foam up. It may take a few times to settle. Turn down the burner slightly as well. A little smeared butter on the to part of the pot slows it down as well. Also a drop of vegetable oil works. Usually when it does this it is very close or past syrup. Good luck.

2018 newbie
02-26-2020, 11:19 AM
Thanks red/one - My issue is not foaming up at all ... the "explosion" comes without warning ... It's more like a volcano. I usually only have a couple of inches in the bottom of the pan since I'm only tapping two sugar maples and I keep my saps separate. It has only happened to me with the sugar maple syrup. I also tap boxelders.

Ed R
02-26-2020, 11:42 AM
It's caused by the niter/sugar sand in your syrup causing hot spots/mini explosions on the bottom of your pans when it sticks. Pre-filtering you nearup will help before final finishing.

2018 newbie
02-26-2020, 12:31 PM
It's caused by the niter/sugar sand in your syrup causing hot spots/mini explosions on the bottom of your pans when it sticks. Pre-filtering you nearup will help before final finishing.

Thank you Ed. I'll try that.

red/one
02-26-2020, 02:15 PM
I guess I totally misunderstood that one! Never had an actual explosion... :o

Ed R
02-26-2020, 05:10 PM
Defoamer for foaming is the ticket , it might help a little with the banging/explosive boil but not much.

saphound
02-29-2020, 03:15 PM
I've never experienced that and hope I never do!

wnybassman
02-29-2020, 04:12 PM
I think it is more prevalent when finishing/boiling in 12 to 20 quart stainless stock pots. I have it happen all the time. I am not so certain it is build-up on the bottom of the pan, because I have filtered it and tried boiling again and it immediately started doing it again. Sometimes it makes the pot jump a little bit it is such a big "bang". Every once and a while the big bubble that comes up is near the side of the pan and sloshes over the side, it really sucks when that happens. A couple years back my syrup pan on the evaporator was making the same commotion, and I remember other syrup makers in the area were saying they were having it happen at that same time too.

jdircksen
03-02-2020, 11:50 AM
I have seen this problem as well. I have an electric flat top stove and I typically use a buffet pan across 2 burners to finish 1-1.5 gallons at a time. I found that as the sap gets closer to syrup, less heat is required to maintain a boil. Turning down the heat slows/stops the jumping and eruptions.

Sugarmaker
03-03-2020, 02:18 PM
Just had some exploding syrup on stove last night. No niter in the pan just cooking syrup. I have seen this in this pan before and it is VERY dangerous. A 1/4 of a cup splashed out and could have scalded ome one and sounded like a rifle shot. Still not sure what is causing it? Was using defoamer also. It did not subside until the syrup was up to about 225 ish. had a good rolling boil and a few drops of defomer was all it needed then and no more explosions. About ready to throw the pan out but not sure thats is the problem. Was on electric flat cook top unit.
Keep the kids back and be safe.
Keep boiling but stay back!
Regards,
Chris

Bricklayer
03-03-2020, 04:47 PM
I’ve had the same thing happen. I used to finish on my stove as well. Untill my wife kicked me out.
If the syrup is really cold and thick as it heats up the steam dosnt bubble through the syrup so it builds up and sometimes comes out as a Big Bang. A little stir every now and then untill it rolls boil solves this problem.
Nitre causes the same thing to happen as well.
Bringing syrup inside and letting it get to room temp before heating up helps too.

Sugarmaker
03-04-2020, 07:31 AM
Thanks Bricklayer,
Thought this might be some of the problem too. Deep thick cold syrup. Ok
Will try it.
Keep boiling!
Regards,
Chris

michiganphil
03-05-2020, 11:04 AM
When you boil water, you see the bubbles forming on the bottom of the pot? They travel up through the water and burst on the surface letting steam escape.
The "explosion" happens because the cold syrup is too thick to let little bubbles travel up to the surface. The bubbles grow until there is sufficient pressure to overcome the syrup, which can be a very large bubble. As the syrup warms and gets thinner the problem goes away.

In my finisher, I typically do 5-6 gallons at a time. When starting with cold syrup, I avoid this problem by starting with medium heat on the burner and stir while it is warming.

If you think syrup is bad, try canning a 6 gallon batch of apple sauce!